Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette nebula

neil groves

I tried the Rosette a few nights ago with my 12" dob and the 31mm Nagler plus my DGM NBP filter. I saw portions of if but not the whole thing of course. Sounds like the same eyepiece / filter combo with my 102mm F/6.5 refractor would be a better way to go :smiley:

M101 is one of those face on galaxies that can be ellusive if you don't know what to look for and where to look. Rather like M33 in some ways. Low magnifications and dark skies are the key.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 127mm scope and on a good semi-rural night could see it convincingly with a UHC filter.

Two points:

1. It is large. I was surprised how big it appeared and like M101 and M33 it is very easy to look straight through it.

2. In my view, the contrast in the centre is much easier to pick than the ever more diffuse edge.

With the rosette, an OIII filter will help a lot.  I;ve seen it visually via my 12" Dob, but not via anything smaller.  With exceptionally dark skies, possibly the 120ED, but I'd say its a no to the bins. Its very faint!

Ive seen it visually with my 8 inch SCT and my 0III filter from a less then dark location.

Ive seen it visually with my 8 inch SCT and my 0III filter from a less then dark location.

i think it must be the skies I've tried from. Never had any luck without filtration mind you. Only tried it via the 12" with filtration :)

Archived