Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

trogre

Tablet... Gutted

Hi All.

Got an iphone which I use to track & learn stars etc but my wife was given a Archos 101B  10" tablet for Xmas but she is not really interested in it. I thought it would be ideal to view the stars as much bigger screen. Downloaded and paid £9.99 for skysafari+ as it has good reviews. Could not make out why sky was not moving as I turned tablet round. What I did not know being a bit green was the tablet does not have a built in compass, gutted.

I suppose I could always download a compass app but not very accurate. It seems for live views I am stuck with the iphone small screen. No point in doing research on a tablet with compass to buy as 1st priority is to decide what telescope to buy.

Hello trogre sorry to hear of your troubles. Do you have a laptop/computer if so Stellarium is free to down load and is very good I know it does not help with the hand held app but it is something.

I think the program needs GPS, if your tablet has it it needs to be switched on.

• Like 1

But that shouldn't stop you using it. Your phone or even better a real compass perhaps a decent one like a Silva will tell you what direction is where and once you know that just set Sky Safari to the direction your interested in. I rarely ever use live compass view on Sky Safari or Stellarium. Or look up find a constellation and put that central in the Sky Safari view.

• Like 1

You would thing that there may be a way of displaying the iphone screen on the android tablet,  then gaffer tape them together........ :grin:

something like this  or team viewer or......... 

Thanks for all you replies. Tried downloading a compass to the tablet but it tells me there is no compass activation on unit.

Still I have done as you advised just used a normal compass to get bearing then pointed skysafari+ in the same direction, it works fine, just need some clear skies now.

Are you running the Archos in windows or android flavor. Only stellarium you can tell it your location manually either the windows or android version. Don't have to have a compass or gps if set location manually.

Looks like your up and running without the compass. I usually turn it off on my iphone. After a while it gets to be a pain when you actually want to focus on one thing in the sky.. 

I actually hate the compass function in SkySafari - and had great difficulty turning the damn thing off! I'd far rather use it without that!

Which doesn't really, help, other than to say, it doesn't stop you using it!

Don't worry about it. As soon as you know a few of the brighter constellations. You will use it just like a map and would find the moving screen massively annoying.

Sky Safari pro on an iPad is my preferred tool for planning sessions and when out with the scope.

Paul

Don't worry about it. As soon as you know a few of the brighter constellations. You will use it just like a map and would find the moving screen massively annoying.

Sky Safari pro on an iPad is my preferred tool for planning sessions and when out with the scope.

Paul

Totally agree with Paul.  I have it on a couple of Android tablets.  One has a magnetic latch on the cover which screws up the compass anyway! 

David