SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 13/02 from Bembridge (Good Seeing)

SnakeyJ

Very Cloudy and windy when I started, but there was a vague promise of clear spells and the Unisys 300mb chart promised good seeing.   As conditions where not great I set up Firecapture 2.4.07, for first time use.    However, by midnight the seeing and trans were really improving and the preview looked quite good in between gusts when the scope stopped vibrating.

Probably a little hard on the process, but here is the last run of the night as an RGB Win Jupos derotation:

post-26731-0-85618700-1423789895_thumb.p

Finally it looks like I've had some good seeing and got some decent data to play with!  Europa seems to have a bit of a phase, but not so sure on Ganymede, which looks rather over sharpened.    Still very chuffed, particularly with the quality graphs in AS!2, which suggest I can stack up to 3000 frames per channel - looks like I could even push to a 3x drizzle.   Happy days :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The data does look nice, But for some reason the fine detail looks very over smoothed to me,  Not sure how your processing this data, But something looks very over smoothed in the process. The reason I am suggesting this I think you could well get a lot more out of your data on this. 

How you got a clear spell at the present time is beyond me Its just been all cloud here

Nice one on beating the UK  weather Jake.

And congrats on getting some good data, You can now try different things at your leisure. Allowing a little noise into the process, sometimes can be better than stomping on it to the point where you are actually losing detail. Its just a impression I am getting Especially at full size, you can see this as the NEB tends to have a lot more fine detail inside the belt, than this process, seems to be showing, even more so considering the good seeing ?

The data does look nice, But for some reason the fine detail looks very over smoothed to me, Not sure how your processing this data, But something looks very over smoothed in the process. The reason I am suggesting this I think you could well get a lot more out of your data on this.

How you got a clear spell at the present time is beyond me Its just been all cloud here

Nice one on beating the UK weather Jake.

And congrats on getting some good data, You can now try different things at your leisure. Allowing a little noise into the process, sometimes can be better than stomping on it to the point where you are actually losing detail. Its just a impression I am getting Especially at full size, you can see this as the NEB tends to have a lot more fine detail inside the belt, than this process, seems to be showing, even more so considering the good seeing ?

Thanks Neil for responding in such detail. I suspect I've been too hard in Image Analyzer, as this was a rush to get to bed this morning.

Workflow was:

as!2 - 3000/6000, driz 1.5.

R6 - linked guassian, 1&2 to 100 and denoise 20-30. Stretch histo, clipping black point to 6-7. Basically the same for all channels, with a tad less denoise on lum.

WJ - measure and rgb de-rotation. Forgot to adjust LD here.

IA - crop, sharpen and denoise. Adjust colour balance, saturation and vibrance.

Gimp - curves and a quick decompose as new layer to correct moon alignment.

ImageMagic - for the framing and capture details.

Sounds a lot when you write it down, but rattled through this last night.

I shall give this a proper go tonight, starting at the stacks and taking time with the wavelets and IA denoise.

It's been a long time coming, but without doubt my best data so far ;)

Very nice Jake, some superb detail and thanks for the post processing work flow, I have a lot to learn.

Just out of interest how do you get WinJupos to align the moons, the only thing I get is Jupiter on it's own? Or is it a composite?

Robin

Very nice Jake, some superb detail and thanks for the post processing work flow, I have a lot to learn.

Just out of interest how do you get WinJupos to align the moons, the only thing I get is Jupiter on it's own? Or is it a composite?

Robin

Thanks Robin, I think I 've only had two occasions when WJ has correctly aligned moons for me - perhaps more to do with quality of data, than technique ;) It was near with this data, but no cigar. To resolve I decomposed the image in gimp and created a new layer manually aligned for each moon. The resulting moons were then copied in over the final picture. Alignment was centred on green channel, as the mid point of these captures.

Always learning myself, thanks chiefly to excellent advice and patience of the members here - but end of the day I think 85% is down to the seeing and trans.

You lucky so and so. Well done Jake.

I too saw that the weather was improving but thought it wouldn't last and decided to have a night in.

I now wish I went out. :sad:

Worth keeping an eye on the unisys 300mb chart for europe. Pink and blue look to be a reasonable pointer towards good seeing. Sadly no reliable guide yet found for cloud, but Sat24 is okay as a guide to the next few hours.

That`s a lovely image Jake. Very much worth the outing! With the bonus of two moons - very nice indeed :smiley:  Pouring here now :sad:

Best regards,

Ralph

A nice image Jake & definitely worth more playing with! :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  It is probably best to do a separate processing for the Galilean moons with less sharpening...you can see that Ganymede's albedo has been reduced to a dark central spot which is a giveaway of oversharpening - you'll find that being a bit softer on it the dark Galileo Regio region will taper out to the edges in this image & you can just recomposite it back over the total composition. :)

Thank you Ralph and Lee - It was a real treat, but might have been even better without the gusty surface winds last night. If I hadn't been working today, i would've meridian flipped and gone on until the hard disk was full ;)

A nice image Jake & definitely worth more playing with! :icon_salut::icon_salut: It is probably best to do a separate processing for the Galilean moons with less sharpening...you can see that Ganymede's albedo has been reduced to a dark central spot which is a giveaway of oversharpening - you'll find that being a bit softer on it the dark Galileo Regio region will taper out to the edges in this image & you can just recomposite it back over the total composition. :)

Thanks Darryl - I will give it the full treatment over the weekend. Ganymede and Europa will get a more careful treatment - there was definitely some surface detail/variation evident here at times in the capture, but may try smaller stacks here.

Wonderful lunar and Saturn data in your recent post - must retire closer to the equator as soon as I can afford to ;-)

The Isle of Wight? More like the Isle of clear sky Jake! Looks very good data with a nice good seeing "gloss". Might be worth trying frequency domain filter to reduce the amount of denoise work needed. Well done!

Thanks Stuart, it's peeing it down at the moment if it's any consolation! Not wanting to show my ignorance, but just going to look up the Frequency Domain Filter ;-)

Looking good Jake, you have had some luck with your weather.

You may want to try all the sharpening and noise reduction on the individual R, G and B files before combining in WJ. That way you can apply the appropriate amount to each colour. After WJ you are having to apply the same to all colours. With your work flow you are also sharpening and applying denoise twice in your processing. Once before and once after WJ.

Nice job though and will be looking out for your reprocess.

Struggling with this and no longer sure of my own eyes, so probably a good point to take a rest from the screen.

Not got around to the moons yet, but here is the disk with manual wavelets and only a touch in ImageAnalyzer:

post-26731-0-46547400-1423941321.png

Archived