Baader Classic Ortho 6mm any good?

uhb1966

Hi all!

I am looking for a good ep for Jupiter. It should be good for both visual and ep projection. Baader usually seems ok, but it's suspiciously well priced:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p463_Baader-1-25--Classic-Ortho-6mm-Okular---orginale-Zeiss-Ortho-Konstruktion.html

All help is appreciated!

Regards, Y

Our John has written a cracking report about the Classic ortho range which you can find here. Along similar lines, you can also read another review by John where he compares Hutechs with Baader's Genuine range. There's also a review of the Classics at Cloudy Nights which can be found here.

All I can say is that if their performance is anything like BGO's, and you can observe without wide fields and longer eye relief, you can expect outstanding optical quality for a very reasonable price.

I was going to post some of the links that Rob has but he has saved me the bother ! :smiley:

The Baader Classic Orthos are quite possibly the best optical performers that can be bought new for < £50 in my view. They have rather plain exteriors but very nice glass :smiley:

As Rob also suggests, the field of view and the eye relief are as per all orthoscopics, rather limited in extent. Not an eyepiece for those who need to wear glasses when observing.

+1 for the BCO range: haven't got the 6mm (yet! :grin: ) but have pairs of 10mm and 18mm for binoviewing: early days for me but first views have been excellent: I sold my pair of Tak 18mm LEs and the BCOs deliver 100% of the view over 95% of the field, losing out only a little at the very edge.

They are of a somewhat utilitiarian plain design, but I like it - and I MUCH prefer the smooth sides to the more common modern "safety undercut" design which I really dislike!

Good luck and let us know if you buy one!

Dave

• 8 months later...

John, tells us they are good and that is good enough for me. I have the BGO myself which are also very good and may even be just in second place to the BCO if I recall the review.

Alan.

It's the other way around Alan, but only by a whisker :smiley:

I thought the 18mm Baader Classic Ortho was a little better than the 18mm BGO though. The 10mm Baader Classic has been praised as a deep sky eyepiece as on par with the Delos 10mm or even a wee bit better by some folks with very large scopes under dark skies in the USA.

It's the other way around Alan, but only by a whisker :smiley:

I thought the 18mm Baader Classic Ortho was a little better than the 18mm BGO though. The 10mm Baader Classic has been praised as a deep sky eyepiece as on par with the Delos 10mm or even a wee bit better by some folks with very large scopes under dark skies in the USA.

you say compared to the delos john, i wonder how they would stack up to the 10mm xw, that would be good :smiley:

Based on my 6mm, BCO's are definitely gonna be my choice collection - so that's me spending £50 for the next 3-4 months [emoji3]

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

Excellent choice Dazzy, the 18mm will be superb in your telescope for most galaxies- looking forward to your M81/M82 report with it. I prefer the BCO over my KK's on most nights, they bring out very rich color details on the planets and very black contrast on the moon, along the terminator. The KK's cold tone does have its uses and are also excellent eyepieces.

The 3 BCO's in your f8/1200mm are extremely versatile.

Excellent choice Dazzy, the 18mm will be superb in your telescope for most galaxies- looking forward to your M81/M82 report with it. I prefer the BCO over my KK's on most nights, they bring out very rich color details on the planets and very black contrast on the moon, along the terminator. The KK's cold tone does have its uses and are also excellent eyepieces.

The 3 BCO's in your f8/1200mm are extremely versatile.

Well that's my mind made up for the next one - couldn't decide whether to go for 32mm next - 18mm sounds a plan now [emoji106]

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

The orthos in the Baader Classic range (6mm, 10mm and 18mm) are great, really nice performers. I was not so keen on the 32mm though. It's a plossl design rather than an orthoscopic and it's field of view is rather limited - about 45 degrees rather than the 50-52 degrees that a decent plossl should have. I found the Vixen NPL 30mm plossl a better eyepiece than the Baader Classic 32mm.

Based on my 6mm, BCO's are definitely gonna be my choice collection - so that's me spending £50 for the next 3-4 months [emoji3]

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

Good choice, I'm sure 10mm and 18mm BCO will not let you down :smiley:

The orthos in the Baader Classic range (6mm, 10mm and 18mm) are great, really nice performers. I was not so keen on the 32mm though. It's a plossl design rather than an orthoscopic and it's field of view is rather limited - about 45 degrees rather than the 50-52 degrees that a decent plossl should have. 

I think I read somewhere a while ago that someone(BillP?) found a possible explanation of the narrower FOV of 32mm plossl, he was playing with Q-turret, found that other standard plossl vignetting in the turret, while Baader plossl didn't.

....I think I read somewhere a while ago that someone(BillP?) found a possible explanation of the narrower FOV of 32mm plossl, he was playing with Q-turret, found that other standard plossl vignetting in the turret, while Baader plossl didn't.

Ah, that would explain why Baader limited the AFoV a little then.

The orthos in the Baader Classic range (6mm, 10mm and 18mm) are great, really nice performers. I was not so keen on the 32mm though. It's a plossl design rather than an orthoscopic and it's field of view is rather limited - about 45 degrees rather than the 50-52 degrees that a decent plossl should have. I found the Vixen NPL 30mm plossl a better eyepiece than the Baader Classic 32mm.

John - Any other eps with a wider FOV that are good in this price range? Otherwise I'll go for the Vixen 30mm...

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

John - Any other eps with a wider FOV that are good in this price range? Otherwise I'll go for the Vixen 30mm...

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

At 30mm / 32mm focal length 50-52 degrees is as wide as the 1.25" barrel will allow.

If you drop the focal length to 24mm you can have a 68 degree apparent field of view which provides a nice perspective although it's showing the same amount of sky as a 32mm plossl.

Archived