Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How thoroughly dark-adapted are you when observing?

Druid

When I can see the rabbits in the orchard I know that I'm there. But here I find it is not so much dark adaptation that affects me it really is dark, but how my eyes react to focus.

If I know that I will be observing then I try to avoid prolonged sessions on the laptop in the later afternoon, my eyes become tired and I can note a big difference in how I can see naked eye objects such as Andromeda and Plaeides.

I also note that my hearing adapts at about the same rate, it is suprising just how much background noise there is in the house, fridge, freezers, radio, drains, etc, but after about 30mins outside I become atuned to the rustle of a mouse, the chomping of rabbits, or a busy hedgehog and distant cows/sheep. (there is no traffic within miles at night).

I have adult visiting friends who refuse to venture outside for a wander around alone at night because it is 'too dark and quiet'!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have adult visiting friends who refuse to venture outside for a wander around alone at night because it is 'too dark and quiet'!

That's sad. It's often that time of day that's my favourite! (especially if the skies are clear)

No tourists, no cars; just me, the scope and a stunning starlit sky above my head. Heaven.

I think that this might become further exacerbated with the increase use of internal LED lighting. We have been gradually replacing with LED and clusters of these light bulbs in a room is some what brighter than anything previous, which may deter some from stepping out into their back gardens for fear of it being too 'dark'.

I know I'm ready when the sky turns a grey color, from jet black when stepping out of my truck. It's strange, I can see in open spaces under 21.7 NELM 6.4. I love being out there at night, by myself and yes a persons hearing does seem to get better as the eyes are taken away a bit lol! lots of strange noises...

I think that this might become further exacerbated with the increase use of internal LED lighting. We have been gradually replacing with LED and clusters of these light bulbs in a room is some what brighter than anything previous, which may deter some from stepping out into their back gardens for fear of it being too 'dark'.

LED lights are brutal, I've made the mistake of using a vg LED flashlight while out observing....there is no better way to kill dark adaptation and see spots than doing this :rolleyes:

I know I'm ready when the sky turns a grey color, from jet black when stepping out of my truck. It's strange, I can see in open spaces under 21.7 NELM 6.4. I love being out there at night, by myself and yes a persons hearing does seem to get better as the eyes are taken away a bit lol! lots of strange noises...

Great being under such dark skies, isn't it? People talk about it being so dark that you can't see your hand in front of your face, but when the eyes are adapted, how wonderful it is when the landscape around us is lit by ancient starlight, not man-made light pollution...

Sitting in the Elan valley watching the Stars get brighter and brighter is simply bliss and its light its that dark!

Yep sitting whilst watching the stars emerge then brighten is truly absorbing, Spring time will I hope provide many opportunities for this.

This is a nice topic which captures the allure of stargazing itself and it's great to read everyone's impressions of being out in the dark!  So many experiences are shared like the increased perception of hearing when surrounded by the dark and what strange noises, or nothing at all, become so pronounced.  It is a love of those tranquil moments of being lost in the moment that really attract me to this enterprise.  It's settling and peaceful to be at work when the rest of the world is tucked up in bed........a person can really think with a clear mind!  I love an early morning session when the birds just start to wake up before dawn.  A real charm.

At home I think I've got a limit to how much dark adaptation I can achieve due to nearby streetlights.  It's pretty frustrating and notice that I have somewhat better adaptation out back rather than on the balcony (but the balc is South facing).  I should do more to block this glare.  I've tried the towel method recently but found that everything was getting fogged up in about one minute!  A hood is my best bet so far, and the parka hood is pretty large allowing me to shield my peripherals from any stray light source while at the eyepiece. 

Clear skies to all, and happy enjoyment of that ancient light we so diligently pursue!

Normally at home it is difficult to get properly adapted, or even close because of the local LP and general orange haze in the sky.

When I go somewhere dark, normally camping somewhere, I usually have a small scope (4" max) with me and dark adaptation is really important for seeing objects like the Veil, one of my favourites.

Using a smartphone is a no no, although I'm finding that under a sheet or two of Rubylith, and turned right down it does not impact your vision so much.

In the past I found that even half an hour after looking at a bright phone it was still clearly affecting my vision - it was the difference between being unable to see Pickering's triangle vs being able too the following night with better night vision.

• 2 weeks later...

#13 Olly hits the nail on the head here. From a local dark site near me, the Milky Way is actually bright enough to cast shadows?

When I refer to dark sites, its in relation to the lack of street light, domestic lights and city glow.

Just shielding my eyes, or sitting inside my dob-tent suffices for me.

It seems like it's more of a concern for visual observers, especially urban ones. 

If you're doing AP, it's probably much less of an issue.

Possibly correlates with preferring a roll-off to a dome too if you go the observatory route, because the trade-offs are different. Faster cooling and not having to move the dome slit during long exposures vs better protection from stray light. 

I guess also, dark adaptation is less of a concern for video observers?

I've spoken to the police a few times while out observing. They're normally pretty interested once they know what you're up to.

Same goes for security guards when you setup your gear near a mechanic 10 miles away from the city. But hey, it's a great, really dark spot with easy access and a parking spot :)

My own observing site isn't terrible with regard to light pollution, but neither is it great. I can generally see the milkyway with ease and see stars of 5th to 6th mag with the naked eye. However as as already been mentioned, I feel an observatory is the way to go if you want to really benefit and again good dark adaption.

My own observatory is a simple run-off roof design, 8 foot by 7 foot and with 6'8" high walls. It is internally clad, walls and floor, with interlocking mat black exercise mating to absorb stray light. Very effective!

However a friend of mine who lives in a slightly more light polluted area uses a small dome. It too is blacked out inside and after an hours observing, stepping outside the observatory is painfully blinding, showing just how effective a domed observatory is in aiding with dark adaption, even in a light polluted area.

If you have room for a small shed you're laughing. The beauty of amateur observatories is that there are no hard and fast rules and they don't have to look like observatories at all. Neither do they have to cost the earth, especially if you're handy with a saw, drill and screwdriver.

There are plenty of inspirational ideas on line and if you buy the books Small Astronomical Observatories and More Small Astronomical Observatories, both by Springer, (ISBN 3-540-19913-6 & 1-85233-572-6 respectively), you'll have plenty to go on.

Mike

This thread is depressing,

I've NEVER seen the Milky Way.

That's sad, but don't be depressed, make it something to achieve this year maybe?

My favourite time in the UK is late summer (early August) when the MW arches overhead at 10 or 11pm streaming through Cygnus and the Summer Triangle.

Looking at where you are, I think later in the year is probably better, October time perhaps.

Just get yourself somewhere dark out of town, no scope or binos and look up!!

Archived