sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Lodestar X2 for a main imaging camera

noggin

I've been reading about this auto guider camera being successfully used for electronically assisted astronomy with lodestar live software, because of it's high sensitivity. What I'm not clear on though, is if it's suitable for longer exposures (2-5 mins). In other words, with extended integration times and stacking/processing, can it produce a quality image? I know it is a small chip with no cooling (and I understand the limitations those issues bring). But I guess my main question is, is there something different about the electronics of an auto guider CCD that would prevent it from showing the quality image of a normal imaging CCD (say a ATIK 314L)?

They are an interesting little camera but the CCD is on the small side, with too low a resolution to produce stunning images. Being only passively cooled it will be noisier in long exposures too.

It does excel in sensitivity though (which is why it makes a good OAG autoguider) and you can exploit this for some DSO work, like probing real DEEP space for uber faint galaxies and quasars with a backyard scope. Just don't expect great image quality!

M81 with a Lodestar x2 (stack of some 5s I think)

m81_1024_zpsebf446fb.jpg

I haven't tried the Lodestar Live software yet - maybe enough subs will reduce the noise to what you might find acceptable?

Edited by laser_jock99
  • Like 1