SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion...

Bloosman

Hi there...

For some time now I have been "exploring" the Orion Nebula, to the best of my abilities, and find it a fascinating subject to view....

Should I be able to glimpse the Flame and Horsehead Nebula too, or do these require a bit more sophisticated equipment...??

Skywatcher 200, f 1200mm, Hyperion 21mm eyepiece.

Dougie.

You have no hope of seeing the horse head nebula. Even much bigger scopes would be a great struggle. Tends to be an imaging sight. Don't waste your time searching. Instead enjoy all the many other joys of the entire orion constellation.

You have no hope of seeing the horse head nebula. Even much bigger scopes would be a great struggle. Tends to be an imaging sight. Don't waste your time searching. Instead enjoy all the many other joys of the entire orion constellation.

^^^^ Ignore this

The Flame and horse-head nebulae are tough but not impossible in an 8" scope. ;) Many, many amateurs have seen them through even smaller scopes than 8" so don't give up without trying.

Dougie

I fully respect what the above posters have said - it's a friendly and helpful site this. However I stand by my comments. Unless you have absolutely perfect conditions, extremely dark clear skies and spend many nights searching you are very unlikely to see the horse head. I live in fairly unpolluted skies and have observed orion for 10 years and never seen it. I'm not saying you won't find it, but it is very difficult and my point was to spend your time enjoying the many sights that can be seen rather than become frustrated with what you cannot.

Hope that clears it up from my end and helps.

The Flame and Horsehead Nebulae are very challenging targets, but not impossible. It's easy to find where the Horsehead is located but somewhat harder to actually see it !

I love this quote from Jeremy Perez:

"....it's like trying to see a little bit of nothing with a little bit of less than nothing resting over it...."

His website has some nice information on spotting the Horsehead:

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000379.html

I've yet to see the Horsehead with my 12" scope and I have a decent H-Beta filter which is supposed to help with this target. I'm not giving up though. A few years back I thought the Veil Nebula and supernovae were the preserve of imagers only but now I observe the Veil regularly even with my 4" scope and I've seen half a dozen different supernovae over the past 5 years or so :smiley:

Hi there...

For some time now I have been "exploring" the Orion Nebula, to the best of my abilities, and find it a fascinating subject to view....

Should I be able to glimpse the Flame and Horsehead Nebula too, or do these require a bit more sophisticated equipment...??

Skywatcher 200, f 1200mm, Hyperion 21mm eyepiece.

Dougie.

Dougie, from dark skies you will see the Flame neb with your 21mm Hyperion, just keep Alnitak out of the FOV and it is well worth the pursuit. I find no filter the best for me and this object is a good test for sky conditions.

I love this quote from Jeremy Perez:

"....it's like trying to see a little bit of nothing with a little bit of less than nothing resting over it...."

Thanks for sharing that John. I think that's my quote of the week sorted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great hobby! The Flame - One day it's there, the next day it's gone. This from my back garden under OK, but not dark, sky.

I've got a feeling that these targets take some real work. I've been working on the flame for a while now. On nights of ok seeing I've gone from seeing absolutely nothing, to "maybe something there", to "definitely something there". There is more to come.

That hasn't stoped me having a look for the harder HH even though I know that the chances of catching it are very slim. I might even invest in the H-Beta filter on the grounds that I will have a big scope under dark sky one day.

Good luck with the hunt.

Paul

Thanks Gerry

At €200 plus for a good 2" H-Beta, I'll go for the false economy of the 1 1/4 " version to start with.

Re the Flame. Yes, I have a good OIII. The gain appears marginal at best. It seems to confirm what I can already see rather than enhance detail/extent.

Paul

My H-beta is not a top notch one, but did the job. I only found the Horse head after 33 years or so in the hobby, from outstanding skies at 800m or so above sea level, so it is by no means easy. The dark nebula was only "visible" as a little piece of slightly darker area in an area which was just a shade brighter than its surroundings.

Thanks Gerry

At €200 plus for a good 2" H-Beta, I'll go for the false economy of the 1 1/4 " version to start with.

Re the Flame. Yes, I have a good OIII. The gain appears marginal at best. It seems to confirm what I can already see rather than enhance detail/extent.

Paul

I find that the Flame is best with no filter, I was wondering if you had an OIII as there are so many objects that can be seen with one. The filters are not cheap and Hb objects are limited but myself I want the 2" for IC1318, I'm intrigued by this huge area of shadows. The California will be best for me in the 2" as well. Check Auriga for some nice, but faint Hb nebs too, I love that area.

Interesting thread. The Flame is vastly easier than the Horse. When someone with Michael's visual observing acuity (I've shared a scope with him) says it's difficult then, trust me, it's difficult. The Flame is not that hard. I saw it easily enough in a ten inch. I never tried anything smaller. Steve has seen the chess piece shape of the Horse. I never have, just an oblong set into the faintest of glows. That's in a 20 inch, SQM 21.9. A lot depends on your eyes and your experience even at a first class site.

Olly

Archived