Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what filters are a reasonable set to have for my set up ?

Paul-F

I have just started out on imaging and fancy trying some filters to see what they can do for my setup.

I am using an unmodified Nikon d5300 with an unguided 80mm f6 app (Guiding will be sorted in due course when I find some good used kit). What filters would be useful for me?

I am considering UHC, ha 40/12/7 mm (what's the impact of different nm?) And maybe O3, S2 as well ...

Hi,

as a certifiable filter-nut - naturally I'd spot this query! :eek::grin: (bit of an insider joke...) But all in all, you left out one large detail in your post: What you'll be imaging. I'll assume that you're not sure of a specialization-area just yet, so I'll hand you over solid information to help you choose likely filters.

This site has what many regard as the best listings of Deep Sky Objects matched-up to suitable filters. There are several excellent articles available here, and I'd recommend downloading all of them:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/?s=Filter

Let us know what you decide and how you're doing, please. Have fun!

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

I think that the only filter(s) that make any sense with an unmodded DSLR are the UHC / CLS type. NB will just be a (Considerable) waste of money as the Bayer matrix on the sensor will just throw away 3/4 of the data. They only really work with mono CCDs or de-bayered mono DSLRs

Hi,

as a certifiable filter-nut - naturally I'd spot this query! :eek::grin: (bit of an insider joke...) But all in all, you left out one large detail in your post: What you'll be imaging. I'll assume that you're not sure of a specialization-area just yet, so I'll hand you over solid information to help you choose likely filters.

This site has what many regard as the best listings of Deep Sky Objects matched-up to suitable filters. There are several excellent articles available here, and I'd recommend downloading all of them:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/?s=Filter

Let us know what you decide and how you're doing, please. Have fun!

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Thanks. Well, as to targets, I'll point my scope at anything I can get to from 58 degrees north :) And after reading stuff in that link I am looking at a UHC filter and O3 filter, and possibly a H beta one at some point if I ever get a ccd. I have had my 12" lx90 for 8 years and only used it for visual use so those filters will help out a bit there I think. As to imaging, I'll have a play and see what they do for that ... 

Another question - how do I attach these filters, assuming 1 filter can be used for both my scopes ? I use 2" eyepieces in the LX90 and a t-ring with nose for attaching the camera to the meade 80mm frac. I really don't want to buy one for each scope!

Hi again,

I see you have a 12" LX90, as well as a 80mm Meade APO. The 80mm comes with a 2" diagonal. And the LX90 can use the same. So the filters should also be the 2" models, which can be screwed into the nose ( the end inserted into the back of the scopes) of the diagonal. Thereby even if you are using 1.25" eyepieces in the 80mm, the 2" filter(s) can be employed.

Have you bought the Eye-Opener from Peterson Engineering? This upgrade will give the LX90 - and many other Meade LX-series scopes - a FULL 2 inch throughput of light. Their stock visual-back gives a significantly smaller throughput. It's only 1.5 inches. Take a look:

http://www.petersonengineering.com/sky/EO.htm

Another upgrade is the 2 inch Eye-Opener Tube Adaptor. This allows the direct installation of any 2" object directly into the scope's now 2" visual-back. Such lives here:

http://www.petersonengineering.com/sky/2-in_adapter.htm

Sorry to sound like I'm a pitchman for Pete Peterson. But I have used his components on both of my 12: LX-series Meades, as well as the kits for the focuser (the difference being like night-and-day), and the declination-clutch (a lifesaver!). Crawling around his website is well-advised. He ships to the UK all the time.

Hope this helps!

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Archived