SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Optimal SD Card Size??

Speed and format is important as well as size. With very affordable prices as they are I'd say get an SDXC with no less than 32gb and class 10.  I only send files to the card when I'm remote imaging and using a laptop. I mainly image with a PC and have the RAW files sent to it rather than the camera's card to review using photoshop bridge. I found it faster taking the burden off the camera and no failures ever.

The only time I have lost data off cards is when buying them "cheaply" of ebay...

I use Sandisk Extreme or Lexar Professional cards bought from photo retailers...  A typical weekend togging can be 80 GB  of raws... For astro it depends on how many exposures your going to take - if your imaging a target and can take 300s or longer subs then 8GB would be plenty as you will only be shooting 12 an hour max... With the 1000D I used to use 4GB cards...

Peter...

I have always used good quality 16 or 32GB cards choice being made on GB per £ the 64Gb ones are not cost effective for me and as said elsewhere even a heavy astro session only fills about 6GB.

I suppose it does help that my camera has an easy access slot on the side rather than the battery compartment.

Alan

Archived