Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Grog

Gravitational Lensing

What we need now is a supply of neutronium rings to make a nice gravitational lensed telescope. You might need a sturdy tube and mount though.

Amazing picture.... not least because there is only one star in it.....all the rest are galaxies!

• Like 1

another surprising thing about this picture is the large number of yellow galaxies which indicates low star formation, beautiful picture though, breath takingly so.

I suppose there are no known examples of gravitational lensing detectable in a backyard telescope?? (Hard enough spotting non lensed galaxies...) :)

I suppose there are no known examples of gravitational lensing detectable in a backyard telescope?? (Hard enough spotting non lensed galaxies...) :)

Not as dramatic as the posted pictures, but absolutely. Eddington observed the effect during the solar eclipse of 1919 with rather simple photographs!

• Like 1

Not as dramatic as the posted pictures, but absolutely. Eddington observed the effect during the solar eclipse of 1919 with rather simple photographs!

Yes! Think I remember reading about that now that you mention it - a star position looked shifted?

Even the faintest wisp of a smear of grey lensed galaxy would be very cool to see with one's own eyes :)

I heard on the radio that some think the Eddington result may not have actually been scientifically valid.

Too much 'noise' in the results. Eddington was a Relativity enthusiast and may have been looking too hard to get results.

Einstein was definitely right, as has since been proven, just that Eddington may not have actually got the result he thought he had.

I heard on the radio that some think the Eddington result may not have actually been scientifically valid.

Too much 'noise' in the results. Eddington was a Relativity enthusiast and may have been looking too hard to get results.

Einstein was definitely right, as has since been proven, just that Eddington may not have actually got the result he thought he had.

His results were also verified much later, so I'm quite happy to go with them. Always going to be doubters!

His results were also verified much later, so I'm quite happy to go with them. Always going to be doubters!

Were his actual results verified, or the theory itself through further more accurate observations?

Were his actual results verified, or the theory itself through further more accurate observations?

Acorrding to the relevant Wikipedia page the results themselves, obviously the latter has been done as well though.