30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Advice needed on buying a OTA scope to use with the skywatcher star adventurer.

Hi all,

I need advice on buying a OTA scope for using with the skywatcher star adventurer. I got the star adventurer for my Christmas and would like a scope to go with it so that I can connect a camera to it. The Rother valley optics and other sites suggest the skywatcher Sky max 90, which at £116 pound for the tube assembly seems reasonable, and with limited budget I need to get the best value for money I can. Any advice would be most welcome :-)

Very Best Wishes

Alice-Amanda :-)

Hi,

I dont know if i would recommend an OTA of that price as its quality may only put you off. It may be ok for a quick look at the moon but i wouldnt imagine much else and seriously doubt its suited for imaging, but i know nothing about the skymax.

If you can save a bit more money i would recommend something like this little refractor which the mount would easily carry with a DSLR attached: https://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16824&cat=270&page=1

Also have you considered a camera lens for imaging? 

Callum

Edited by iksose7

Hi,

I dont know if i would recommend an OTA of that price as its quality may only put you off. It may be ok for a quick look at the moon but i wouldnt imagine much else and seriously doubt its suited for imaging, but i know nothing about the skymax.

If you can save a bit more money i would recommend something like this little refractor which the mount would easily carry with a DSLR attached: https://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16824&cat=270&page=1

Also have you considered a camera lens for imaging? 

Callum

I have a 70-300 mm sigma camera lens as well as a canon 50 mm macro lens. I use the macro for shooting the constellations etc and the other lens for the Moon and the Sun. This little scope looks good as well so thanks for the link :-)

I have a 70-300 mm sigma camera lens as well as a canon 50 mm macro lens. I use the macro for shooting the constellations etc and the other lens for the Moon and the Sun. This little scope looks good as well so thanks for the link :-)

I have decided to go with this one http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16686&cat=270&page=1

After chatting on Face Book with Paul Money who reviewed it for the Sky at Night magazine in Jan 2014. like the 66 mm it is 2 kg in weight, so light enough for me to cope with I think. It can also double as a solar scope when I buy a solar filter for it, and it works with the skywatcher star adventurer as well, and also fits on a normal camera tripod. Excited to get it now :-) Will try and sell my Celestron first scope 114 EQ 4.5" Newtonian as it will no longer be of use to me. I haven't got much use out of it anyway due to the portability issue with my disability. I will let you know how I get on with the new one when I get it. :-)

Others I chatted to on FB agreed that it is a nice wee scope as well. I asked on the amatuer astronomy and astro photography fb group and they gave advice as well, as other amatuer astronomer friends on FB.