SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

**Attention all Mac imagers**

johnrt

Afternoon all,

This had my attention brought to this piece of software by Affinity Photo https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/?source=USwebgains&siteid=73669&IsoCode=US&culture=en&&MC=WBGSER02

It's still in beta and free until release, when it will be £49. I've downloaded and ha a quick play and have to say this looks like a very nice program. All the functionality of Photoshop is there in a recognisable interface. Looks very primising for Mac users as an alternative to the *very* expensive Adobe.

Give it a try :)

Thanks johnrt,

Not too much Mac software available (I had to download M*******t via Bootcamp) so I jumped at this: unfortunately. my MacBook is OS X 10.6.8 and Affinity starts at 10.7

Ho,hum......

A4A

Celestron 9.25 SCT

AVX mount

Various eyepieces

William Optics binoviewer

A sense of wonder

Looks good  :icon_salut:

As an ex-Adobe man myself I have to admit that whilst the suite is fantastic for just about anything you wish to use it for, its very pricey. Compounded by the fact now if you want the latest versions you're looking at a monthly outlay :/ Its pushed the 'hobby users' like most of us out of contention.

Top find!

Will

Thanks johnrt,

Not too much Mac software available (I had to download M*******t via Bootcamp) so I jumped at this: unfortunately. my MacBook is OS X 10.6.8 and Affinity starts at 10.7

Ho,hum......

A4A

Celestron 9.25 SCT

AVX mount

Various eyepieces

William Optics binoviewer

A sense of wonder

Can't you run a more up to date OS? I'm running the latest OSX on a 2008 iMac without any trouble.

Can't you run a more up to date OS? I'm running the latest OSX on a 2008 iMac without any trouble.

I have a 1st generation MacBookPro that I use for capturing which is right at the minimum spec for Mavericks, but this seems to imply that Mavericks will be fine on it? What do you run on your iMac?

I have a 1st generation MacBookPro that I use for capturing which is right at the minimum spec for Mavericks, but this seems to imply that Mavericks will be fine on it? What do you run on your iMac?

OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite.

Looks good  :icon_salut:

As an ex-Adobe man myself I have to admit that whilst the suite is fantastic for just about anything you wish to use it for, its very pricey. Compounded by the fact now if you want the latest versions you're looking at a monthly outlay :/ Its pushed the 'hobby users' like most of us out of contention.

Top find!

Will

Two licenses of CC and LR5 are less than £10 a month...  any mix of Mac's and PC's

Peter....

After spending a little time playing with this, it is a very polished capable rival to Photoshop - it  does everything very well. One notable ommision for astronomy use is the "dust and scratches" filter which I use a lot in my work flow to remove and create star layers from images. Hopefully as this is just the beta version it will added before full release.

Two licenses of CC and LR5 are less than £10 a month...  any mix of Mac's and PC's

Peter....

Peter the Affinity software is £49 one off payment and free while in beta, paid for itself in 5 months at  adobe prices :)

Sorry John, I meant what astro software do you run on your Mac - is it nice and cpu un-intensive apps, or do you run whatever app takes your fancy?

For astro work I do all my processing on the iMac, latest version of Pixinsight and Adobe CS5. I'm yet to handle an app that my iMac won't handle though :)

All my image aquisition is done on an old £50 (from ebay) Dell running windows XP!

Archived