SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scope Not Targeting Well

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said before, try the worm retaining nut before jumping in and adjusting the mesh, the float becomes loose way before the mesh does..

So, that's the first part of AB's tutorial, titled EQ6/Atlas Worm Engagement for DEC Axis??

You can check the end float by removing the non adjusting end of the worm drive when you move the scope see if the end of the drive moves in and out, a quick fix it cut up a feeler gauge of about the same thickness of the travel grease it and when the retaining black plug is screwed in the end float won't happen... :)

You can check the end float by removing the non adjusting end of the worm drive when you move the scope see if the end of the drive moves in and out, a quick fix it cut up a feeler gauge of about the same thickness of the travel grease it and when the retaining black plug is screwed in the end float won't happen... :)

I'm afraid I can't visualise that. I'll have to get someone to show me!

Well, a friend flashed my handset to the latest version this afternoon. It was a bit twitchy to start off with but some of that was my error. Then I had a go seeing how accurate I could get the alignment. This attached pic is a rough indication of how far out I was from Betelgeuse most of the time - red dot indicated with an arrow. Alnitak and M42 were the same.  It got better as I kept using PAE. But sometimes stars would still be out, e.g. from Betelgeuse to Caph.

I did notice after over an hour of moving round the sky, my polar alignment had drifted as my lawn was so damp. One of the reasons I have trouble in my garden I think! But the star align was still pretty off at the start of the evening and I kept having to do PAE.

I wish I could solve the problem. :huh:

post-1704-0-54052200-1424212494.jpg

my polar alignment had drifted as my lawn was so damp.

Have you got any pads or paving you can put down to stop the feet sinking?

I use these when i am at camp and it definitely stops the feet from sinking:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Anti-Vibration-Tripod-Foot-Pads-Heavy-Duty-Skywatcher-/280617692553?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item41561e2d89

Carole 

Oooh, they're expensive! I suppose these would just collapse and distort. They look hollow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Washing-Machine-Tumble-Dryer-Anti-Vibration-Foot-Feet-Pads-Electrolux-parts-/220862551387?pt=UK_Irons_Presses&hash=item336c6f155b

Failing that, I've got some small terracotta pot saucers but I'd need to drill a small hole in each to stop the tripod feel from slipping.

I did previously try to economise and use settee feet cups, but they tended to tip over, the ones I bought from Ebay, work really well on grass and don't tip, also they have holes in them so you can put tent pegs in them and peg them to the ground, so you can return your mount to the same place, which would save on PA.  

They are a bit expensive for what they are I guess but other makes are even more expensive.  That's astronomy for you LOL.  

Carole 

Archived