Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

impactcrater

the Moon leaves us...

I understand that our Moon is moving slowly away from the Earth . this then begs the question where will it go ?  I know at that time romance will be dead....

It will still remain orbiting the Earth. The increase is in the order of millimetres per year, as the friction of the tidal forces on Earth gradually slows our rotation. In the distant future both the Earth and Moon will be tidally locked together and at that point there will be no further increase in the distance.

• Like 1

The same tidal interaction causes drag on Earth's axial rotation. The days are slowly getting longer!

As the Moon drifts out it's orbital period increases too.

Eventually Earth's rotation would become locked to the Moon's orbital period. 

Not sure I've ever seen any figures but our day could be longer than the current 28 day lunation.

Actually I guess that before then the 3 Body Problem will come into play and the Moon will be ejected into an unstable orbit not bound to Earth.

It's only going by a couple of cm's a year so I think we have plenty of time to work on a solution. Tethering it with ropes maybe.

• Like 2

I heard it was considering retiring to a lovely rural location just outside the asteroid belt.

The same tidal interaction causes drag on Earth's axial rotation. The days are slowly getting longer!

And i thought it just seemed that way as i got older ;(

• Like 2

I used to watch Space 1999, really got me interested in ....er...sci fi !

• Like 1

It will still remain orbiting the Earth. The increase is in the order of millimetres per year, as the friction of the tidal forces on Earth gradually slows our rotation. In the distant future both the Earth and Moon will be tidally locked together and at that point there will be no further increase in the distance.

It's worth noting that by the time this happens, the sun will have swelled into a red giant and then shrunk down into white dwarf form.  The jury is still out on whether the Earth and moon would be enveloped and destroyed by the sun during its red giant phase.

It's worth noting that by the time this happens, the sun will have swelled into a red giant and then shrunk down into white dwarf form.  The jury is still out on whether the Earth and moon would be enveloped and destroyed by the sun during its red giant phase.

Hehe..if we are still around then the position of the Moon will be the least of the problems!

So what you're saying is that every year new EPs simply must be purchased to maintain sufficient magnification options because the moon is receeding... :)

• Like 2

Generations after us will sure miss total solar eclipses! :\

Strictly speaking the Earth has no moon.

The Earth and the Moon are a binary system orbiting a barycentre.

That is the equivalent of saying the Sun has no Planets :huh:

Strictly speaking, you're wrong.  The barycentre is inside the Earth and the Moon is well within the Earth's Hill sphere.  By every definition, the Moon is a moon.

• Like 2

By every definition, the Moon is a moon.

Yeah, but how boring is that! :D

I suppose in order to keep our days a reasonable length, we ought to destroy the Moon before it can do any harm! :shocked:

I believe the Jodrell bank observatory in Cheshire monitors the distance the moon is moving away from Earth by firing a laser at a mirror left by one of the Apollo mission's.

Kenny.

I believe the Jodrell bank observatory in Cheshire monitors the distance the moon is moving away from Earth by firing a laser at a mirror left by one of the Apollo mission's.

Kenny.

Really? Sounds like a collimation nightmare to me :lol:

Kenny.

Surely some kind of hoax, if we are to believe the conspiracy theorists on the Moon landings!

Surely some kind of hoax, if we are to believe the conspiracy theorists on the Moon landings!

No good reason to do that though...

No good reason to do that though...

Indeed.

In fact, I think that all these conspiracy theories are a NASA hoax! :laugh: