Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My First DSO

wow nice for your 1st DSO! a lot better then my 1st DSO (M42)

what camera did you use for capture?

one thing id look at would be colour calibration as it looks a touch purple, but it might be me as I am on my rubbish work pc from the 80's lol

Thanks

600D unmodified. Definitely too purple, consequence of trying to eek out the detail.

Would I be correct in thinking a CLS filter would improve things on this type of target?

A very good first image :)

The purple colour is very easily fixed. Look at the histogram and you will ses that it will be unbalanced. You want to move the left hand slider about in 'levels' to get the 3 colour peaks to match up. This will help in your colour.

A Light Pollution filter will help massively - A good investment in my opinion. AP is all about long exposures and sadly many of us will be hampered in this endeavour by the light pollution around.

Great first effort. The fact your 600D is unmodded means you may have better success on targets that don't rely so much on Ha (or blocking of such emissions like the horse head). As Orion is so well placed try M42. It is also a brighter target. keep posting.

Thanks everyone. I like to aim high (pun intended)

Definitely got the bug! Must do M42, perfectly placed at the moment.

I doesn't look as sharp as I would have liked, I focused using a bhatinov mask so I guess it was down to the seeing although I haven't checked the collimation recently.

I had a go at the levels...

post-36192-0-48261300-1423558384_thumb.j

Thanks Rich,

I ask as i was trying to image this the other week and took a few test shots to see if it was worth my while, i took a few 2min shots and got a very washed out frame with no hint of nebula. 

So i moved on to a different object, Its good to see what to aim for when trying to capture this, I was imagining with a 8" SCT .

You have inspired me to try again Thank you ;)

Craig 

P.S can i ask one more thing, what is the light pollution like round your way?

Thanks Rich,

I ask as i was trying to image this the other week and took a few test shots to see if it was worth my while, i took a few 2min shots and got a very washed out frame with no hint of nebula. 

So i moved on to a different object, Its good to see what to aim for when trying to capture this, I was imagining with a 8" SCT .

You have inspired me to try again Thank you ;)

Craig 

P.S can i ask one more thing, what is the light pollution like round your way?

Not too bad at all here. :grin:

A very good first image :)

The purple colour is very easily fixed. Look at the histogram and you will ses that it will be unbalanced. You want to move the left hand slider about in 'levels' to get the 3 colour peaks to match up. This will help in your colour.

A Light Pollution filter will help massively - A good investment in my opinion. AP is all about long exposures and sadly many of us will be hampered in this endeavour by the light pollution around.

To re-stress Sara's point, look at the top left of the histogram peak in each colour channel. This is the point to line up for a starting point in colour balance.

levels%20aligning-L.jpg

Olly

I appreciate all the good comments but I'm not happy with the final image. It's a chronic affliction I'm afraid.

Would anyone who is a bit more experienced at processing in PS mind having a go at the autosave.tif?

I would like to know if it's the data or my processing that's lacking. I'm suspect it's both. I would be interested to see what an expert could do with it.

May be a competition to see who can do the best edit? Any takers? :grin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyk48hyiihaecsh/Autosave003.tif?dl=0

attachicon.gifAutosave003Olly processing.jpg

Here you go. The biggest weakness in your system is a severe lack of signal in red, maybe because of an LP filter? Green was over represented and tha lack of red makes it hard to lose the magenta caste.

Olly

Thanks very much Olly! I really appreciate your efforts.

I've been playing around with it following this tutorial http://www.askc.org/Astro_Photo%20Workshop.html and the reults were something similar to yours. But wasn't sure whether I had pushed it too far.

At least now I know it's the data. Looks very noisey, more/longer exposures I presume would improve this??

No filters were used just stock 600D and SW CC. The green problem I think I understand (bayer matrix has 2 green for each red and blue) The lack of red has me concerned. Interesting you suggest the reason could be a LP filter, I was thinking of ADDING a CLS filter, is this the same thing? If so i thought it would have improved things. I don't want to make things worse!

Really need to look at getiing the 600D astro-modified. This hobby just keeps on taking!

The target is Ha dominated but it can work well in LRGB only. This version has no dedicated Ha layer. http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-6shTXhn/0/X3/Horse%20HaLRGB-X3.jpg

However, an astronomical red filter passes Ha freely. (What a dedicated Ha filter does is exclude other wavelengths so increasing contrast.)

Modding the camera (or a camera) would certainly help.

Olly

The target is Ha dominated but it can work well in LRGB only. This version has no dedicated Ha layer. http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-6shTXhn/0/X3/Horse%20HaLRGB-X3.jpg

However, an astronomical red filter passes Ha freely. (What a dedicated Ha filter does is exclude other wavelengths so increasing contrast.)

Modding the camera (or a camera) would certainly help.

Olly

Thanks.

That's beautiful shot btw.

Archived