Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron AVX or Ioptron ZEQ25?

Chris

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you are considering all the options, as would/did I. Running an SCT, I see many evolve to an OAG, which would be lighter than a separate guide scope, and eliminate problems with mirror flop and flexure as well. Based on signatures, I see RC8" on the Z is fairly common.

Hi, I've now Googled ZEQ25 RC8 and it led me to some info which suggests that the 2" leg version would be a good idea with heavier loads in order to reduce vibrations. Also said that the basic tripod isn't very tall or sturdy (I think you also recommended the 2" tripod back in the thread :) ). Probably not good with two of my scopes with focusers at the back height wise. I would also need an extra counter weight by the looks of pictures of the ZEQ25 and 8" scopes ( I think you also mentioned this so good call).

I'll find out how much it will be to have the 2" legs plus extra counter weight as I've made up my mind I won't be having this mount without them. The mount is 850 to start with so it might get even more pricey. Might still be feasible if I buy from TS in Germany with the good exchange rate, I'll check it out, thanks! :)

Some time ago, I read this thread on cloudynights.com about Celestron Advanced VX: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/403113-celestron-vx-mount/#entry5166425

The post of an user (davenport) at page 7 intrigued me a lot   :rolleyes:

lol I see why it got your attention, I like his little snippets of sarcasm about him hardly ever pouring mud into his mount! :D

Yes I do see a couple of his points, yes if the polar allignment is SPOT ON it's probably quite justified on such a budget mount not to have proper bearings on dec. I think the only thing that concerns me is stiction if its a touch out of PA and how this would effect guiding, if I ever get that right that is :D

Anyone got any info on how well the AVX guides?

Would it be easy enough to add some teflon grease to the dec bearing to help it loosen up perhaps, anyone done this?

I'm not too concerned about the balancing woes, you only need to do this once on a bench with a fulcrum, and mark the position on the dovetail.

Chris, I have to say I find your positivity and enthusiasm a delight :)

I went for the AVX because 1) like you mentioned I felt the HEQ5 had been around for a while and I wondered what the newer kit was like, 2) I enjoyed using my CG-5 and the AVX seemed a natural progression and 3) I reasoned that if I didn't get on with it I could no doubt offload it again fairly easily and quickly.

The fear of making a mistake used to hold me back somewhat, these days mistakes are merely something to learn from and I just go for it. Good luck in whichever route you decide to go and hope you get a lot of pleasure out of your new kit :)

Bless you mate, very kind of you to say :) and hears me thinking I'm a pessimistist Luddite :D

I especially like your third point, yes I agree because its a well known brand and a familiar design that it would sell well on the second hand market. Not to knock the Z-mount which I think will be the future, but I know new designs might take a while to be accepted. 

Thanks by the way for your help :)

As I recall, the 2" mount is taller. With it up all the way and my kit, it fully settles in under a second after focussing. I do submit to OCD tendencies, and being a former film and telephoto landscape guy I hung a weight from the eyepiece tray in a plastic grocery bag. Can't honestly say it helped anything, but I like it.

:D I think OCD and astronomy go hand in hand. 

I read that the 2" tripod adds 8" to the height, 44" for the standard verses 52" for the upgraded 2".

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/409115-ioptron-zeq25-initial-impressions/page-47

UPS have just picked up my NEQ6 on its way to it's new owner, so I'm officially mount-less at the moment.

Hi Chris,

I messed up the thread on one of the legs of my standard tripod for the ZEQ25 and I looked into buying the 2" tripod. After phoning around several dealers in the UK, I found that no where stocks it and there is a 6-8 week lead time associated with it. It might be different if you are buying it as part of the initial kit, but worthwhile checking out.

NB. I do not know where you are based, but if you are anywhere near the South of England (I am in North Hampshire), you are welcome to pop over and have a look / go with my ZEQ25 - CEM60 (assuming I do get it on Friday). I do have a 8SE scope as well and have used it on the ZEQ25. To do this I needed to buy an extra counter weight (the supplied weight was not quite enough to get it balanced). I think this is pushing the mount a little, but for visual stuff it is absolutely fine (might be okay for imagining as well, just never tried it?).

I Dave, snap! just been phoning around trying to cost a 2" tripod version of the ZEQ, No luck, the consensus seemed to that the cost was being looked into on the next shipment. 

In the US I see you can buy the mount with the 2" tripod for between 950-1000$ So I'm guessing it will be around 100 pounds extra for the 2" tripod? So adding a counter weight and a Losmandy converter plate for my C8 would take the total to around 1050 pounds give or take!  :eek:

I think that's the nail in the coffin for the ZEQ25 with my particular OTA's. Just too much money for the spec, and too long a wait without a mount to spec it up to take the C8 properly :(

Thanks for the offer anyway Dave :)

I'll probably go for the AVX plus ADM losmandy saddle upgrade, this should cost around 820 pounds total. There is still a little devil on my shoulder saying dig into the savings for the CEM60  :evil:

• 1 year later...
On 11 February 2015 at 06:02, orley said:

Chris, I have to say I find your positivity and enthusiasm a delight :)

I went for the AVX because 1) like you mentioned I felt the HEQ5 had been around for a while and I wondered what the newer kit was like, 2) I enjoyed using my CG-5 and the AVX seemed a natural progression and 3) I reasoned that if I didn't get on with it I could no doubt offload it again fairly easily and quickly.

The fear of making a mistake used to hold me back somewhat, these days mistakes are merely something to learn from and I just go for it. Good luck in whichever route you decide to go and hope you get a lot of pleasure out of your new kit :)

I'm with you on the fear of making mistakes - I've managed that on every step :), OTA, mount, camera, filter wheel.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have saved myself £,000s :(

A fool and his money is easily parted - LOL

Archived