Narrowband

First report with my new bins

Well tonight was the first night this week it was clear when I got home from work so I rushed dinner and was set up by 7pm, I had my 15x70's on the tripod and 10x50's beside me. I looked up and was supprised by the amount of stars I could see, I was really spoilt for choice this time out! 

My first target of the evening was the Orion Nebula, what a beautiful sight, I could see all the main stars amounts the two grey nebula clouds. After about 15 minutes a slowly work my across the sky to Sirius then down to M41, with a bit of averted vision I could make out a lot of stars through the 15x70's. Here I spent around 5 minutes before moving the bins over to Jupiter. As always a great sight to see, Jupiter was a bright ball of light surrounded by 2 visible moons. I slowly moved across to the area of M41 but was very hard for me to see due to Jupiter not far away and a street light in the same direction.

After a shorshort break I decided to spin around so I could see what was behind me. I had a quick look around the Great Bear but yet again views were spoilt by trees, a house and another street light! After a big jump across the sky I aimed the bins towards the Pleades, after a 10 minute session here I decided to use the 10x50's for a change. Now my main goal was to find Comet Lovejoy and the Andromeda Galaxy, this was only the second time I was able to see Comet Lovejoy in the night sky mainly because of bad weather overhead. After a quick search of the rough area it popped into view, compared to the surrounding stars it stood out as a dull grey fuzzy ball of light. I slowly moved down to the Andromeda Galaxy...the first time I have ever seen this galaxy and was amazed! I swapped back to the 15x70's and was glad I did, I could see even more detail to the fuzzy blob! 

I then decided to lie down on the grass to find out what I was missing above me...lots and lots of stars!! I could see more star clusters then I could keep count of! I knew just above Cassiopeia was the heart nebula and soul nebula, now I don't know if this I what I saw but just above Cass I saw 2 grey nebula type clouds, one slightly smaller then the other, can anyone clarify what I saw here?

Sorry for the long post but I had to share what I saw with someone! Thank you for reading.

Jake

Hey Jake,

What brand of Bino's and scope's do you have. I am always using my Orion Resolux 15x70 & 10x50's.  I was out the other night, looked at several clusters, Jupiter and also looked at m-31, m-81 and m-82.

Hello

I'm using a set of celestron skymax 15x70's and a set of marchwood 10x50's on a manfrotto head/some German named tripod. The scope I have is a maplins special 76x700, its not the best but works quite well (a mate was throwing it out and I thought save it). Next time its clear I want to go galaxy hunting (but because im in wales clear nights are very hard to come by)

Archived