A New Dawn Be it Late In Coming

trogre

Hi All. I am from Swindon in Wilts. Must admit a bit late in life to get started, 67! Never the less my wife & I enjoy almost every evening just gazing up at the stars for a few minutes. Only got a very small pair of binoculars, 9 x 21, but enough to be amazed looking at the moon with them.

I think my highlight of looking to the sky was in Skiathos, Greece in the 1st two weeks of September a few years ago. Often if you wait long enough at the right time you will see a meteor but the one I saw was the best I seen. It streaked across the sea towards land and was big and bright red since it was hot. Of course it could of been something else burning up in the atmosphere but I like to believe it was a meteor especially at is was the time of year for Perseids.

Would like to attend the Swindon Stargazers night out on March 28th at Lydiard but 1st need to contact someone to book 2 tickets. I hope we will be able to look through our 1st telescope and be amazed. Just got to do the normal reading up and getting confused as to what telescope to buy. I think a wise move would be to join  the Swindon Stargazers Club as no doubt a wealth of knowledge & advice to be given. First job is to try to pin down a good android star map app for tablet. 

Hi Trogre, a warm welcome from me in Swindon!  It will be nice to see you at one of our meetings.  I also happen to be one of the organisers at Lydiard Park, a fun evening and our first outing with Swindon Borough Council. 

Welcome Trogre,

I hope you enjoy SGL.

Of course joining a local Astronomy Group is a great Idea, you will be well looked after, and get lots of hands on experience of

various Instruments, and Astronomy in general.

SGL has thousands of members who are also keen to help newcomers to the way of life  called Stargazing.

Any questions, just ask away.

Ron

Hi Trogre and welcome to SGL to you and your wife, joining an Astronomy club has many benefits.  Being able to borrow a scope to use at home for a while, is one of my clubs assets, as we have our own observatory. Continue with your binoculars and download the free program "Stellarium" to help you find your way about the night sky, enjoy :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. You say you are 67 but in the cosmos we are all children really.  :grin:  Never to let to start and the important thing is that you have so congratulations. Astro societies are certainly a good starting point and many of them run public observation sessions that will certainly help you in your research as to what scope to get. We all have expectations of what we would like to see and certainly getting your eye at the eyepiece will make all the difference in fine tuning your search. Remember, we are here to help you pick through the finer details and there is certainly enough experience to help you make the right choice for you.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived