SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from the Malvern Hills

physicus

Hi guys, just a quick hello.  Now I'm finally living at a reasonably dark sky location in the Malverns (UK), it's time to re-engage with  a life-long interest in astronomy.  I remember buying my first telescope in 1976: a Fullerscopes 6" reflector on a 'utility' spec GEM; I was 14.  I  turned up at the shop in London with my dad, and we were served by Dudley Fuller.  I was a bit naive, and thought I could take the thing home there and then - which was optimistic.  But six weeks later I was happily up and running, even taking some moon and hand guided star pics with my Zenith E !   I've been in and out of the hobby since then, acquiring an ETX-90 in 2000, but finding little chance to use it based out of central London.  I love just looking at objects, but have somehow always got sucked into astrophotography, and at my new location there's plenty of potential for that.  I considered brushing down and enhancing the Fullerscope, but decided that rig was really of its time and best left affectionately alone.  Last week I took possession of a Celestron 9.25 SCT and AZEQ6 (at 3 days, FLO delivered this telescope a little faster than my 1976 purchase ! ), and will be gradually 'bell and whistling' it over the coming weeks with a view to photography: probably a gentle start tracking/stacking wide fields with my 7D + telephoto, and planetary/lunar with the SCT when I get stacking software for my Mac sorted.   I got off to a good start last week with two clear, albeit moonlit sub-zero, nights.  Having a lot of fun.  Nice to be here :-).  (Couple of pics attached: my rig in 1978, and again a couple of nights ago - how things change!)

post-41768-0-53161000-1423440228_thumb.j

post-41768-0-22436300-1423440231_thumb.j

Hi Physicus and welcome to SGL, very nice scope the 9.25 SCT has been on my dream list for some considerable time. If you are going to go down the AP route, then most of our imagers would advise getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards book, "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of page or direct http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk often said to be the best investment you will make. Enjoy your return to the hobby :)

Archived