Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 130eq finder replacement

I got a Telrad for mine which i fitted on Tuesday last week, easy to set up and loads easier to find what you are looking for, so easy infact i got my 9 year old grandaughter to find orion nebula and she had it lined up and in the eyepeice in a matter of seconds, best thing i ever bought imo

I have to admit the Telrad is big and does look a bit strange on the scope but in the dark it doesnt matter and i think if i hadnt of bought it then i think i would of given up because anything smaller than the moon was taking an age to find with the rubbish finder supplied

+1 for the Rigel QuickFinder, but I've also fitted a SkyWatcher 9x50 finder 'scope. The Rigel allows quick location of an object and the finder 'scope is extremely useful for its magnified view and the ability to find fainter objects.

The finder 'scope is not too difficult to fit once you've got over the fact that you have to drill two holes in the OTA. The seat for the finder 'scope is designed so that it sits parallel with the OTA, so simply place it on the tube, mark the holes and drill carefully ( with the OTA horizontal of course, so that you don't drop swarf all over your mirror :evil: ).

Hope this helps,

Alan

I recently attached a Rigel Quickfinder to my 130EQ, so much better than the supplied finder, like stated above, smaller footprint than a Telrad and about the same height as the focuser, seems as though these were developed for the smaller scope IMO.

Within reason you can place the Quickfinder where you want. More out of curiosity than anything I once tried it down at the primary mirror end and it worked just fine. The quick finder has a good deal of adjustment so its easy to synchronise it with the scope. Bear in mind that you do not "squint" through it like an optical finder but look through from a little way back so its worth experimenting where it is most comfortable and practical for you.  I rarely get the 130EQ out now and have removed the base plate, but from memory I think I eventually placed mine to the right and slightly up clear of the focuser. Its also worth knowing that the sticky attachment pads are very very sticky, so its good to get it right in one. If you do need to remove it again, it is easy to clean up with a spirit based cleaner. 

Archived