Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Scope Covers

Hi Guys

I am in need of a scope cover to cover my Meade LX 10 OTA when mounted on my HEQ5.

I have seen this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Party-Waterproof-Telescope-Scope-Cover-protects-your-investment-/301170058251?pt=UK_Telescope_Adapters&hash=item461f22640b

Would anyone know whether this would be suitable or perhaps used this particular cover?

thanks

I've the green witch cover. does all thats asked of it. just remember that any cover will also trap moisture in as well as keep it out so make sure everything is dry if covering for any length of time :)

I was lead to believe the GW cover was a BBQ cover?

I have a couple of the Cygnus Astro Covers in the dayglow yellow. Nice quality and as they're custom made to cover your scope, there's less to flap in the wind potentially tugging the scope over. A drawstring round the bottom helps with wind inflating the cover and tugging it off. The one he made for my 12" Dob was a touch over sized and fits my LX200 very nicely.

Russell

I use an Asto Systems Scope Coat - 16LX 12" Dob version with my 14" OOUK Dob. Soft white polyester material which is breathable and waterproof and with a draw cord enclosure. For my 8" Dob I will have a Cynus Astro cover made up in breathable material. 

• 5 months later...

Ok,I'm feeling like a fool now. whilst i'm quite pleased with the performance of my cover (green witch). I've rescently been told they are furniture covers. just checked and greenwitch couldn't even be bothered to remove the "garden chair cover" label. so basically they've bought chair covers cheaply, added the word astronomy and raised the price.Nothing worse than deception and I'll NEVER be using them again

A quick search finds the exact (same model number) cover for under £16.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Stacking-Chair-Cover-Green/dp/B0057MO7EQ

+1 for Cygnus Astro covers, had one protecting my mount 24/7 for 18months now (mount stays outside in all weathers). Tip: Have a separate inner cover to protect the mount (or scope) from abrasion when strong wind is causing the cover to move around, otherwise the corners will get polished off! I use a soft canvas-like cover underneath.

ChrisH

Not good if Green witch  is selling off furniture covers as scope covers at a high price!

Anyway, any cover, no matter how much you pay will have moisture inside if the air is dewy, and your equipment is kept outside.  I have a Teligizmos, and two others, and in the winter  I change them around every day, on my pier,  because of the moisture inside.

Fay

............  whilst i'm quite pleased with the performance of my cover (green witch). I've rescently been told they are furniture covers. just checked and greenwitch couldn't even be bothered to remove the "garden chair cover" label. so basically they've bought chair covers cheaply, added the word astronomy and raised the price.Nothing worse than deception and I'll NEVER be using them again

A quick search finds the exact (same model number) cover for under £16.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Stacking-Chair-Cover-Green/dp/B0057MO7EQ

Exactly.  When you buy from a specialty store, what ever hobby it may be, you pay a premium. Years ago I was considering an underwater light which cost $69.95 while looking around in a Dive Shop.  A few days later I saw the same model Tekna light for sale in K Mart for $4.99

For smaller Mak's, a canoe / kayak dry bag offers superior protection. I see these for sale every so often at our local ALDI store, and in a choice of colours.

Edit: Add photos. 

post-21902-0-38640900-1439125172.jpg

post-21902-0-08073200-1439125181.jpg

Archived