30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Sunday Sun, amazing filament

Luke

The Sun is well worth a look in h-a at the mo if you are lucky to have clear skies. The giant filament of recent days is still going strong, it dominates a lively Sun, extends about half the diameter I think. Some looping proms around one of the active regions near the limb is a beauty too, a great feature with a nice 3D look, but its thunder rudely stolen by the giant spider crab leg filament.

Good luck, all!

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2

Good view this morning before freezing fog closed in. Probably the longest filament I've seen in 20 years of Ha observing. Bear in mind that this is on a sphere not a flat disc so it is even longer than it appears!     :smiley: 

• Like 1

Thanks, Peter, I was thinking I had never seen one like this before, but I've only been into solar for two or three years. 20 years of H-a and this one stands out?  :laugh: Good point about the length and it being on a sphere, I had not considered that.

The spider crab thing, I wish I had thought of it, someone called it that somewhere else previously in the week, not sure if it was Michael? I thought it was a great description.

I hope anyone who is not lucky today gets another chance or saw it earlier in the week.

Edited by Luke

I managed to get some time today :smiley: great looking filament, I am glad I got to see it.

I think the whole surface looked excellent and was as good I have seen it in a long time, great pattern of sunspots on show also.

• Like 1

Managed a nice session yesterday and you are right, the filament is amazing! Not seen anything like it before.

Out of interest, is it one long filament, or does it touch down in the middle where it turns the corner?

Will make an impressive prom if it lasts?

Managed a nice session yesterday and you are right, the filament is amazing! Not seen anything like it before.

Out of interest, is it one long filament, or does it touch down in the middle where it turns the corner?

Will make an impressive prom if it lasts?

Michael seems to have made an interesting case that this filament has already been round once!

Good question if it really is one long filament, it certainly looks interacting to me. The bit that at the time I thought was the most petered out was bottom right in my image below but it looks like it flows to me? I'll leave the exact diagnosis to Professor Montana and the other science officers, I just thought it rocked :grin:

I am still going through my shots, the one below is with my 120mm and I was so blown away by the filament I switched to my 60mm to try and make sure I grabbed the whole of it. Not often I turf the 120mm off the mount! :eek:

15873308983_425fa845db_b.jpg

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2