Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Today's the day we started the Obsy!

Mikyg

If you don't want the rebar touching soil: lay a piece of sheet black plastic in the bottom of the hole, set them on a couple of stones or cinder block, pavers, etc.

If you set the bars on something , then pour the cement, you won't have to keep pulling them up and the concrete will flow around all just fine. The sheet plastic is overkill, but it does keep the ground moisture from wicking through the cement.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you set the bars on something , then pour the cement, you won't have to keep pulling them up and the concrete will flow around all just fine. The sheet plastic is overkill, but it does keep the ground moisture from wicking through the cement.

Ive got some membrane in the shed so i plan on using that in the hole once doug and just putting a piece of paving flag at the bottom to rest it on. Thanks for your help guys

i did a pier using 8" plastic waste pipe in a similar way to what you have on the above posts, but i made holes in the bottom of the pipe to allow concrete to flow around the bottom of the pier and i put some bars at right angles to help anker the pier.

he is a link to my build.

http://www.robslack1.webspace.virginmedia.com/Pier%20Build.htm

i did a pier using 8" plastic waste pipe in a similar way to what you have on the above posts, but i made holes in the bottom of the pipe to allow concrete to flow around the bottom of the pier and i put some bars at right angles to help anker the pier.

he is a link to my build.

http://www.robslack1.webspace.virginmedia.com/Pier%20Build.htm

Thank you ill definitely be checking it out in more detail

Just a quick update, last weekend i completed the floor joist along with hangers. I had hoped to get the concrete in and set two saturdays ago but due to the obissmal weather we've been having have only managed one of the corner supports. I only manage to work on it at weekends due to work all week and juggling that with my 3 years and 9 week old boys its a bit tricky so please bear with me. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i finally managed to get all the concrete in today so saturday morning i will be moving the floor into position and ordering some ply and 3b2 for next week.

Hi all just wondered if u think it would be worth insulating the whole floor or just the floor under the warm room? Got some kingspan coming along with 70 lenghts of 3b2 just to keep me busy :-)

I'd lean towards insulting under the floor only in the scope room, and the full wrap in the warm room. When it's warm in the spring-summer afternoon, the air will cool quicker than the ground. Insulation may speed cool down then.

We mixed it ourselves with a huge bucket and a hand electric mixer. It was easier and less messy to do it that way as we could put the bucket next to the hole and just pour it in without it going everywhere. Ive got two weeks off work so trying to get abit done but got one more week off then its just back to saturdays. Good luck with your obsy, when u starting it?

We mixed it ourselves with a huge bucket and a hand electric mixer. It was easier and less messy to do it that way as we could put the bucket next to the hole and just pour it in without it going everywhere. Ive got two weeks off work so trying to get abit done but got one more week off then its just back to saturdays. Good luck with your obsy, when u starting it?

I think that's the way I'd have to go as well. A delivery would be awkward. Have you got any pictures of it?

As to starting my observatory - not any time soon, unfortunately! I've finished the design and know where it will be built though! :grin:

I have a kitchen to put in first, and my better half's adamant that she needs a conservatory as well :rolleyes:

To be fair, she's wanted one four times longer than I've wanted an observatory, lol.

So, about 2 years if I'm lucky. And I have to remove a 50ft tree first - at least it's diseased now so I feel less guilty about that!

Ha ha u better keep your better half happy first. I'm back there tomorrow so will take some pics for u. I have one before it had been concreted i think. I'm using gas pipe with a fitting that has a steel plate on a fitting on the top of the pipe to fit the mount. Its quite hard to explain but i'll show pics when doing it.

This is the pipe before i had finished the hole. U had to dig down about another 2 feet. There will be what looks like a large steel plate which comes up to just under that ridge on the top, the plate then has holes around it to bolt to another plate which is attached to the mount.

post-34895-0-71584400-1426808972_thumb.j

I think that's the way I'd have to go as well. A delivery would be awkward. Have you got any pictures of it?

As to starting my observatory - not any time soon, unfortunately! I've finished the design and know where it will be built though! :grin:

I have a kitchen to put in first, and my better half's adamant that she needs a conservatory as well :rolleyes:

To be fair, she's wanted one four times longer than I've wanted an observatory, lol.

So, about 2 years if I'm lucky. And I have to remove a 50ft tree first - at least it's diseased now so I feel less guilty about that!

Sorry forgot to get u some pics before putting the floor down.

today i got the floor finished and some pipe under from the warm room to the pier for the computer and astro gear to talk to each other. I started one bit of the wall but ran out of light.

post-34895-0-00540600-1426989711_thumb.jpost-34895-0-47426200-1426989749_thumb.jpost-34895-0-51668400-1426989793_thumb.jpost-34895-0-40515100-1426989822_thumb.jpost-34895-0-71647100-1426989855_thumb.j

Looking good !

I think you deserve to say this quote out loud ;)

"My talent is such that no undertaking, however vast in size... has ever surpassed my courage."

- Peter Paul Rubens

Hey guys, just ordered the wheels and track for the roof and they should be here by friday. I've gone with 4 wheels on both sides and they each can carry 300kg. The wheels are gate wheels with bolt on track.  Tomorrow I'm gonna try and get a price for the cladding.  The obsy is coming on nicely and I've got all but on end panel on and I've covered the top with membrane to stop water getting in.post-34895-0-20129900-1427325876_thumb.jpost-34895-0-53948500-1427325930_thumb.jpost-34895-0-13475100-1427325992_thumb.j

Archived