Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alcor and Mizar

avtaram

Nice sketch Avtaram! I was looking at Mizar and Alcor last night.Mizar is a very easy split for a small scope.I was reminded of the story of the 8th magnitude star 'Sidus Ludoviciana' which is in the same field of view as the pair.Apparently,The German Theologian J.G. Liebknecht observed it on the night of December 22nd 1722,and convinced himself that it had moved. Certain that he had discovered a new Planet (no less!),he duly named it after the Landgrave Ludwig of Hessen-Darmstadt.Needless to say,his 'discovery' was soon disproved,to some ridicule from his peers! Thanks are in order to Stephen James O'Meara,who recounts this story in his excellent 'Observing the night sky with Binoculars'.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice sketch . What paper do you use and where do you get it , locally ?

I use an artists note pad and pencil for sketching at the eyepiece and then copy it onto black card using a white pen, if colour is needed I use water colour and a fine brush.

I get all my materials from Amazon.

Avtar

• 1 month later...

Archived