Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Radians,

alan potts

TeleVue Radian's are/were very under-rated in my opinion. With all the 'rubbishing' by some folk, it gives us folk who 'love' them chance to buy them. My formulae is below...

me + 'scope + TV Radian = :wub:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radians are rubbish (IMO of course). Soft, yellow-cast views and impossible to maintain eye position unless you want a closer relationship with your chiropractor. Get your eye position wrong and you'll spend the rest of the night trying to adjust for blackouts and kidney-beaning.

Get the Pentaxses (sp?) instead. I found them to be almost as problematic with regard to eye position, but at least when I got there the views were wonderfully, sharp, flat and colour-free.

Oh yeah.

Televues comprise 95% of my EPs so I don't think I'm slagging them off unfairly.

I can't agree with that one bit, maybe one could agrue they have had their day but secondhand are one of the best deals there is to be had . I find the colour cast issue grossly over played and to say they are rubbish is quite frankly rubbish! In my opinion of course.

Alan.

Very surprising comment, the only thing that is rubbish about the Radians is that Stu beat me to the 10mm :shocked: I was about to enquire and it was gone.  Can I have 1st dibs if you sell it Stu ?

If Radians are indeed poor then we are doomed because they hold their own against many others I have tried. The SLV's are slightly better and this is probably down to age of design etc...

The SLV's are slightly sharper, then there is the weight and length advantage to the SLV, the Radians of course have a slightly better build quality :grin: The kidney beaning can be removed via the adjustable eyecup.

I think these discussions around quality and sharpness can be very misleading. I've not used an SLV, but from John's reviews and other comments I'm sure they are sharper than Radians.

It's all a question of degree though. The differences are small, and often masked by seeing conditions anyway.

I think the negative points of the Radian were highlighted and discussed on other forums, and then quite probably got out of proportion with their actually severity.

To me, they are good, sharp, lightweight eyepieces which I would always be happy to own

Each time I get some eyepieces to compare and report on I find it harder to identify differences between them and others, especially in the centre of the field of view where the vast majority of modern eyepieces perform very well. I'm finding I have to really nit pick to find differences to report on :rolleyes2:

It's getting to the point when I'll need to put the eyepieces to be compared in some sort of turret so that I can really quickly switch between them to help detect the differences a sort of "blink comparison" approach.

I've also started to wonder if some of the differences reported are due to eyes rather than the eyepiece. When my eye gets a little tired or I'm "trying too hard" I can see abberations in the view which disappear when my eye is relaxed. I think it's important not to be hasty in judging eyepieces :smiley:

Blimey Stu. More kit :eek:

Congrats mate these a re really nice eyepieces. :)

I know Steve, scary. Anyway, they seemed like they may be worth a go in the Canopus for highish mag.

The big kit swap continues, 120ED and Genesis left me this weekend :-(

I really shall be able to call a halt within a few weeks I hope! I'm nearly where I want to be! Then can just get on and observe!!

I've also started to wonder if some of the differences reported are due to eyes rather than the eyepiece. When my eye gets a little tired or I'm "trying too hard" I can see abberations in the view which disappear when my eye is relaxed. I think it's important not to be hasty in judging eyepieces :smiley:

I've noticed that too - Tired eyes (and brain) overshadow many of the things and EP does or doesn't do wrong. I'd also add that tired or not, some eyepieces just don't suit some eyes and there's no formula that I've seen to explain why.

Take my Delos. Super sharp edge to edge - Tick. Massive eye lens - Tick. Massive eye relief - Tick. Superb adjustable eye guard to facilitate eye positioning - Tick. So why did I not enjoy them? I simply never could get quite comfortable with them and I don't know why. I thought changing from the F5 Dob to an F10 SCT might change that with a shift in parametres, so I gave them a few extra sessions. It didn't so I had to conclude that I really didn't like them.

On the plus side, I got one second hand, one at a show and one at a considerable discount, so the Delos adventure has only cost me about £60. You can't knock them for their resale value!

Russell

I had a 10mm Delos for a short while but I didn't get on with that either. I could not fault it's optics or build but it just didn't "do it" for me. Odd becuase I really like the Pentax XW's and they are very similar eyepieces in many ways :undecided:

Thank goodness for the active used market so we can try these things at little overall cost :smiley:

For me, it was the 17mm that piqued me the most. Why was it so far from being parfocal with the others?

Russell

That's the little advantage Pentax XWs and Nikon SWs have over Deloi, they are all parfocal, in addition to that they don't fog up as easily in cold weather.

Sorry to OP for being off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I would never accuse Radians of is being "soft".

I found them to be razor-sharp - easily amongst the sharpest eyepieces I've ever used - and the only reason that I passed mine on was because I found the lateral colour distracting on the moon.

Archived