Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Radians,

alan potts

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are excellent eyepieces for around £100. I have the 4mm and 3mm Radians sandwiched between 5mm and 3.5mm XW's. I find switching between them reasonably seamless although the XW's reach focus somewhat further inwards. The Vixen SLV's are probably slightly better eyepieces optically although that is a further 10 degree drop in FoV.

The build quality of the Radians is very good although I've needed to tweak the "Instajust" eye cup system on mine to make the click stop action firmer.

The build quality of the Radians is very good although I've needed to tweak the "Instajust" eye cup system on mine to make the click stop action firmer.

John, not meaning to derail the thread, but I'd be interested to know how and why you did the tweak as my 6 barrel feels a little loose (although the 'click' itself seems pretty definite) - of course this may be what all Rads feel like, but mine is the only one I've ever handled...

Thanks

Steve

Ah 'the' 6mm radian !  Glad you are enjoying the views Steve :) 

Good aren't they !

It's LOVELY! Haven't regretted buying it at all. The adjust bit still catches me out (see my post above) but I love the views using my/your - :) - 6mm. Thanks!!!

John, not meaning to derail the thread, but I'd be interested to know how and why you did the tweak as my 6 barrel feels a little loose (although the 'click' itself seems pretty definite) - of course this may be what all Rads feel like, but mine is the only one I've ever handled...

Thanks

Steve

Theres some pics on the internet somewhere explaining this Steve - I'll dig it out for you when I get a moment :smiley:

The instructions are actually on the Tele Vue website - so it's an authorised method !:

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?return=Advice&id=100#.VNYcXCyCC7Q

Just performed the surgery....

Worked a *treat* and has made my Radian feel *much* more secure in the hand. The procedure (open up an expensive eyepiece? Eek!) proved very simple with a toothpick as Tele Vue advised. Phew, I was always slightly nervous with the Radian before, but now after the op.....Full 6mm steam ahead! It makes using the Radian now a tactile as well as an optical pleasure.

Thanks John :)

Radians are rubbish (IMO of course). Soft, yellow-cast views and impossible to maintain eye position unless you want a closer relationship with your chiropractor. Get your eye position wrong and you'll spend the rest of the night trying to adjust for blackouts and kidney-beaning.

Get the Pentaxses (sp?) instead. I found them to be almost as problematic with regard to eye position, but at least when I got there the views were wonderfully, sharp, flat and colour-free.

Oh yeah.

Televues comprise 95% of my EPs so I don't think I'm slagging them off unfairly.

Radians are rubbish (IMO of course). Soft, yellow-cast views and impossible to maintain eye position unless you want a closer relationship with your chiropractor. Get your eye position wrong and you'll spend the rest of the night trying to adjust for blackouts and kidney-beaning.

Get the Pentaxses (sp?) instead. I found them to be almost as problematic with regard to eye position, but at least when I got there the views were wonderfully, sharp, flat and colour-free.

Oh yeah.

Televues comprise 95% of my EPs so I don't think I'm slagging them off unfairly.

This is not my experience with them. I have had Pentax XW, Ethos, Nagler, Delos, Panoptic and Radians plus Baader and Zeiss Orthos and enjoyed the Radians very much. I had 3,4,5 and 6mm I think and found them to be sharp, and could never understand what the fuss was all about with the supposed 'colour-cast'

I'm not saying your experience is wrong, just that we each have different eyes, scopes, skies and budgets and for some the Radians work very well.

Stu

Soft, yellow-cast views and impossible to maintain eye position unless you want a closer relationship with your chiropractor. Get your eye position wrong and you'll spend the rest of the night trying to adjust for blackouts and kidney-beaning.

Not what I found with the Radian I have. It is sharp and comfortable to use. I'm not really seeing a colour cast either :huh2:

No problems here with Radians. Sharp, no blackouts, no kidney beaning. Only issue is if I forget to pull out the extending bit, then I soon realise something's not right. My wife's quite fussy with those issues and loves Radians.

Archived