SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trouble with SharpCap2

Astrosurf

I'm tryinmg to image Jupiter at the mo with my ZWO ASI120MC and SharpCap is playing up. For a start it keeps grinding to a halt when I turn up the Exposure to focus. Then the view shows lots of what look like hot pixels that aren't there when it's running. But it also keeps Previewing, whatever that is. See screenshot, bottom of 1st image. But it's also very slow. I'm on a new laptop W8.1 and bags of memory etc so it should be OK.Why is it running at approx 8.3fps - 2nd image?

Alexxx

post-1704-0-53798800-1423262356_thumb.jp

post-1704-0-89754400-1423262367_thumb.jp

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All your screenshots report lots of missed frames  - bottom left corner.

A couple of dropped frames is No Big Deal, but more dropped than displayed is A Problem Houston.

So there may be a bottleneck in your USB route from the camera to the PC.

Or is it the Windows 8 drivers for the ZWO?

To check if it's SharpCap that's the problem, try your SPC900 and QHY5  on it instead.

The  single un-stacked Jupiter image looks lgood by the way......

Michael

Another thought, the ZWO needs USB 2.0.

Which your lovely new laptop will surely have.

But are you running through a hub?

Is it USB 2.0?

Do you have any USB 1.0 kit plugged in too?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that USB 1.0 plugged into a USB 2.0 hub will drag the whole hub down to USB 1.0?

USB gurus please comment.

Michael

Thanks guys. I didn't have anything else plugged in except my mouse. I was using what I thought was the USB3. Is there a way of finding out which USBs are which? I went on to Device Mgr but that wasn't much help.

Could it be the cable I was using?

I'll try FireCapture next time. SharpCap's a bit too flaky with this set-up.

Don't think you have to do anything just leave as is and press enter, will have a look.

Dave

Yes enter Firecapture as user and leave password blank

I'm afraid that doesn't work. Why on earth have they created this problem??! I'm getting frustrated now! :huh:

EDIT: It worked, but now I don't know how to extract the sw. It's not doing what I expect from experience. it's just doing this:

post-1704-0-18651300-1423506693.jpg

When I click on the '...' button, and save the extracted files to my Program Files area, I get this:

post-1704-0-36039600-1423506888.jpg

I'm really lost here! I've not known a download to be so difficult. But then I'm not that IT savvy!

Yes same one I just used and it worked perfectly, just tried it out on Jupiter, damn computers, must need hitting with a bigger hammer  :grin:

Dave

It should make a folder and unzip itself into it then you can run the setup exe.

Archived