Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Rowland

Urgent help! Eq6 Mount Go-To Alignment issue.

Hello all

I recently bought an upgrade kit for my eq6 mount and it arrived thursday put it all together nicely, excited to give it a try but the damn clouds rolled in so i waited paitently and was rewarded with tonights clear skies.
I give it a quick test slewing around the sky all worked fine. I then tried the 1 star alignment and whilst going through the set up it starts to slew towards the star and then suddenly stops and the motors within the mount stop and i am unable to slew anymore.

I'd also like to say this is my first go-to mount so i'm not familier with the steps but im pretty sure the mount shouldn't stop responding. When i turn off the mount and back on again i gain all power again i try to align and nothing the motors move then shut down. I'm not sure if its power related as i'm using an extension cable and a plug with the right size adapter to power the mount.

Thanks for any help.

Ronnie

Ps not sure if this is the right area for posting. If pictures are needed i'll be glad to supply images.

Usually the cause is power.

What are you using exactly ?

It may be voltage at the end of the extension lead - this assumes a 12v output, then extn lead then the mount.

Another is what current can the supply deliver?

You probably need 2.0 amp, better 2.5amp as an absolute minimum, I suspect a 5amp 12v supply would be better.

Are any LED's/lights flashing?

the mount needs a minimum of 12v, 13-15v is better. Volts drop over the cable is the likely problem if you are using a battery source

Thanks for the quick replies. The plug im using has these details ------     output 12v 1.2 amp

and no there are no flashing lights, i can slew just fine without any power issues it's only when i try to align, however i am using a long extension over 10m plug into another extension cable. if it is power then i'll take away that 2nd extension cable and bring my mount closer.

So to sum it up i have the power feeding from my house plugged into an extension cable when is feeding power to another extension cable and when im using the mount to slew i have no issues it's only when i try to align the mount.

Thanks
Ronnie

If it is 12v at the house then through 2 extn leads you will lose some voltage.

At 1.2 amp it sounds boarder line and all I can think of it that your slew rate is lower then the scope align/slew rate. Quite possible as you set a slew rate and it may not be maximum.

Possibly the scope tries to slew in RA+Dec simultaneously whereas you do one or the other but not both. Hence you are driving one motor the mount is driving 2 = twice the power required.

I tend to plug all my bits in then grab a multi-meter to take measurements.

I learnt never to believe anything and have often found that a 7.5v setting is close to 9v then 7.5v and the other way as well. I have a little scope that wants 9v and 9v setting is up around 10.5v.

Asked about flashing lights as some of the bigger EQ's flash if the voltage is wrong (low).

Edited by ronin

Extension

Plug

I've added the images of my plug and extension cable, First time doing it so hopefully i done it right :)

That's the thing though when im slewing i don't notice an issue with the speed or anything it all sounds fine, but once i try to start the alignment progress i slews for a second then i hear a clonk and the power stops working ( the red light is still on) i'm just unable to slew, I also know it stops working because the high pitch noise coming from it stops. <--- not sure if that is an issue :huh:

Have to agree, this sounds so much like voltage drop although I am surprised to hear that the LED isn't flashing. 1.2Amp PSU is too low, and that 10metre extension cable is going to be very lossy indeed. You can test this out inside with no stars with a shorter cable because the fault is currently occurring before you have actually reached the first star.

Edited to say - Ohh, that kind of extension (!), I thought you meant that you were using an extension cable on the 12v side, not he AC mains side! My guess would be that this is the low current PSU that is the most likely culprit.

So any links on what i should replace my supply with :D I did get a power supply with my go to upgrade but it needs to be plugged into a power bank which i don't own, so would it be ideal to just spring for a powerbank?

again thanks for the help.

So any links on what i should replace my supply with :D I did get a power supply with my go to upgrade but it needs to be plugged into a powertank which i don't own, so would it be ideal to just spring for a powertank?

again thanks for the help

I do not have a eq6 so going blind here , are you useing a hand countroller if so have you undated the firmware.  asking this as heq5  new firmware locks out on Star alignment on some.

I did not update as i thought i didn't need to because i only got it thursday i'm sure FLO says it comes with the latest firmware, i'll give it a try thought. Thanks.

Not seen any post on new firmware locking out on the eq6 but lots on the heq5 doing as you said in your post  hard to help on something that I do not have .

Okay updating seems like hassle so i'll give that a try tomorrow. I'll quickly run outside and try to test the mount without the telescope on it, I see that you can look at the voltage being supplied to the mount. Also Ronin I tested that out i tried to slew as up and left and vice versa and it worked fine.

all the same as in the way it works eq6 and heq5 i was just thinking may use the same firmware . think it was the 3.36 update for the Heq5 that playing up.

:mad: Found out my brother who was helping me dropped a washer inside and lost it, and now when i just tried to slew i can hear a grinding noise within the mount. I take it this is the issue as to when the mout auto slews and stops dead?

ahh am i able to take the mount apart completly to resolve this issue? however im not quite educated enough to feel comfortable trying but hey ho worth a try if its the only way.

:mad: Found out my brother who was helping me dropped a washer inside and lost it

[apoplexy mode on]

Aaaaarrrggghhhh!

[/apoplexy mode off]

Yup, I'd want to find that washer! :grin: :grin:

This is the PSU that I use but it would need to be protected from moisture outside - a plastic box with side ventilation would suffice but you must use an RCD protected supply to feed it (and any other PSU used outside).

Ah well i have to take it apart tomorrow getting tired now been a long day. Thanks everyone for your help :)  will have to bash my brother over the head :) night all  Thanks steppenwolf for the info i'll be sure to do that.

Get rid of the transformer they are prone to surges... Then it's bye bye mount.

Use a battery. I recommend a gel cell of at least 7ah.

So it is what i said, the damn washer that is inside the mount somewhere ;( I took the motors out gave it a quick test on alignment and it slewed perfectly fine. So i just need to some how found this tiny washer thats causing the issue.

You say you upgraded the mount with a GoTo kit, questions for you ......

What washer was dropped, was it part of the upgrade kit ? It could have an effect later on.

As the GoTo upgrade only involves xhanging motors you should dind the washer in the main part of the mount behind the control panel where the motors are located. If they havent migrated into the worm housings it should be simple enough to remive the control panel and motors and find the washer.

If after remiving it the miunt plays up still it could be the worm settings are too tight, they simetimes are on non goto mounts which have a far more torquey motor than the steppers used in the GoTo kit.

I have a guide online that shows how to asjsut the worms...have a look on my website.

Scuse typos am tired and on mobile phone....