Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Top 10 Useful inexpensive things

So, you've bought your scope. Here are a few things that may make life a little easier. This list is supposed to be simple cheap things that you may not think of straight away.

1. Warm Clothing

You often forget just how cold it can get even during an August night. So warm clothing is vital. Several thin layers are better than one thick layer. You lose most of you heat through your feet and head, and you extremeties will get cold quite quickly.

A Hat http://www.cafepress.com/stargazersloung.103188194

Thick soled shoes

Thin gloves, or thicker fingerless gloves

For harsher conditions, you can try Hiking / Fishing / Sking shops suppliers, do not underestimate how cold you will feel. If your cold you will feel miserable and will observe for less time.

2. Red Light torch

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=RedLightTorch for £7 is good value, sometimes you need both hands for things so a head torch may be a good idea http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omega-HL-09-flash-headlight-headband/dp/B000MVZXHW/ref=pd_bxgy_lp_img_a?ie=UTF8&qid=1206223615&sr=1-1

A wind up torch is also an excellent idea http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-LED-wind-up-torch/dp/B000PH7WVI/ref=pd_sim_lp?ie=UTF8&qid=1206223615&sr=1-1

You could of course make your own, red nail varnish or red acetate can be used to changenthe white light you have in the drawer to a red light for astro use.

3. Spare Batteries / Hardware / Tool kit

There is little point in being specific, but you can guarantee that batteries will die in the middle of a session so have spares (and make sure that they are recharged (if rechargeable)). Spare leads, connectors, adapters and memory cards are all handy to have. A set of tools that includes a spanner for ALL the nuts on the mount and scope also a set of screw drivers and allen keys.

4. Velcro

This comes in various colours (black and white will be most common I think), it i also available as sticky back and sew in. This stuff is great for securing handcontrollers to mount legs , electric focus controller to tube etc. I bought some from Morrisons for 79p (I think) for 2m.

5. A good book

When I first started observing there wasn't really anything like GOTO, so a Star Atlas was vital - I have a field version of the Sky Atlas 2000 by Wil Tirion(ISBN-10: 0933346875 - c£30). This has generally been outdated by goto.

Turn left at Orion is a book that is regually recommended (ISBN-10: 0521781906 - c£17), others include Phillips Deep Sky Observer Guide (ISBN-10: 0540085855 - c £6) and Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders (ISBN-10: 0596526857 - c£15)

6. Pirate Eye Patch

Great to protect your eye's night vision when you just HAVE to go indoors. You look a complete prat but there you go.

7. Laser Pen

Very useful on showing other people what / where you are looking, especially good for naked eye oberving within a group. Do not take one of these to an organised star party.

8. Box

To keep your bits in. Aluminium flight cases are really good for storing eyepeices, filters etc. Various sizes are available, usually they have either a foam block or a diced foam block so you can cut to shape. It's worth hunting around as these can be picked up real cheap - around £15. Try www.maplin.co.uk and www.amazon.co.uk

9. Table

You will need somewhere to put your coffee / beer (delete a applicable), camera, EP's or laptop - it's much easier when your organised.

10. Glow in the dark paint

You can write the focal length of the eyepeice on the dust cap - to help you in getting the right eyepeice first time.

11. 12vdc Hair Dryer

Dew can be a real problem and has cut short more observing sessions than I care to remember.

http://www.astronomica.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=OLD_flypage.tpl&product_id=162&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1-1 - c£10.

12. Pocket Warmers

Stick them in your pocket, great for warming your hands or de-dewing a bit of kit. You can get "rechargeable" or "Single use" versions.

Single use Hand Warmers - £2

Re-usable Hand Warmers - £4.

Or a hot water bottle can be used between two layers of clothing to help keep you warm [thanks Sparrow].

13. Red Acetate (red film sheet)

Used to cover laptop screens, torches etc while at a starparty. Or if you have an observatory to cover lamps, windows etc.

https://www.shop.liteopia.co.uk/products.php?g1=791d88&g2=b22d0e&g3=51323d

14. Nylon Tipped bolts

Finally I've found nylon tipped bolts available from a UK source singlely if required.

http://www.epsilon-telescopes.co.uk/products.htm

If you think of something that you think should be on the list, let me know.

EDIT: as at 25 March 2011 the complete list now looks like this:

A Summary of suggested useful inexpensive things

ORIGINAL 14
  1. Warm Clothing
  2. Red Light torch/ LED head torch
  3. Spare Batteries / Hardware / Tool kit
  4. Velcro / sticky backed Velcro
  5. A good astronomy book / star maps / star lists
  6. Eye Patch
  7. Laser Pen/ Pointer (do not take to star parties!)
  8. Storage Box / Containers
  9. Table
  10. Glow in the dark paint / nail varnish / stickers / tape
  11. 12vDC Hair Dryer
  12. Pocket Warmers (snap/microwavable)
  13. Red Acetate (red film sheet)
  14. Nylon Tipped bolts
    ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS
  15. Hand held spectroscope
  16. A comfy chair / stool / deckchair / sun-lounger (horizontal seating for binocular viewing)
  17. Night Vision Goggles
  18. Portable radio
  19. Bahtinov Mask / Focusing Mask
  20. Those 3 drawer plastic storage units that you see in PoundStretcher. Wilkinson.
  21. Small Step Stool
  22. Cheap torch and red felt tip pen.
  23. Large plastic washing basket for carrying stuff
  24. Old sheets bedcovers for covering scope
  25. Light sheets can be used as a ground covering to outline dropped pieces
  26. Snack foods, coffee, water
  27. Reading glasses, compass, watch, pen and notepad
  28. Glasses cord for hanging the specs round your neck
  29. Heated insoles
  30. Dew shield
  31. Gaffer Tape
  32. Multi-tool
  33. Wire, string, rope
  34. Lighter, Matches, Blowtorch
  35. Bug spray
  36. First aid kit
  37. White cables
  38. 3M reflective tape
  39. Spirit level

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A comfy chair? Or maybe a stool? I likeastrophotography, and once the camera starts taking photos for an hour or two, sitting is better than standing. And how about taking some friends as well?? Have a party! ;-)

Great list Ant!

I've found sticky backed velcro most useful recently (whilst setting up the scopebuggy), for all manner of things!

Came from the local needlework shop! (Yep, I got some funny looks - the only bloke in the shop:o)! 2" wide stuff for £4.50 per metre (for both parts). Also useful was velcro that has both the 'fuzzy' and 'hook' elements interwoven - great for adjustable cable ties...

As for a good sized camping table:

Buy Twin Height Aluminium Table. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

And lastly, my favourite star maps (to go with the red torch) - free download :):

Skymaps.com - Publication Quality Sky Maps & Star Charts

Deck / sun-bathing chair or any chair that enables lying close to horizontal; enabling comfy naked-eye (eg. meteor watching) or bino-assisted sky watching.

MP3 / ipod with music from 'cosmos', '2001' or 'Star wars' ! I especially like Ligeti's 'Atmospheres' and 'Lux aeterna' from '2001: a space odyssey'.

Great list Ant!

I've found sticky backed velcro most useful recently (whilst setting up the scopebuggy), for all manner of things!

Came from the local needlework shop! (Yep, I got some funny looks - the only bloke in the shop:o)! 2" wide stuff for £4.50 per metre (for both parts). Also useful was velcro that has both the 'fuzzy' and 'hook' elements interwoven - great for adjustable cable ties...

As for a good sized camping table:

Buy Twin Height Aluminium Table. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

And lastly, my favourite star maps (to go with the red torch) - free download :):

Skymaps.com - Publication Quality Sky Maps & Star Charts

Yes must get myself a camping table... And a step lader or step up box for those awquid positions

in Italy the most important thing you have to bring with you during observation is beer during the summer and grappa during the winter 8-)

without exageration, since alchool is a vasodilator and during the winter it makes you feel hot for some minutes, but then you become frozen

Can I put in a vote for one of these

RedBeam SP Self-Powered LED Flashlight - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

It the Orion windup redbeam torch. I think its one of the best things I ever bought for astro. I got mine for £14 and its brilliant.

No batteries so your never stuffed up in the dark and the little blighter can even charge a mobile phone.

My first one busted last winter - it got so cold the plastic became frangible and the winder handle shattered like glass - managed to bidge it together but bought another one straight away cos it was so useful. Its not the cheapest red light torch but its a real boon.

Glad you guys like the thread.

Weega, I was under the impression that alcohol ruined night vision?

Ant

I don't know :rolleyes:

surely a lot of alcohol is not good for other reasons, but I don't know it it can make the pupil become smaller or reduce the rhodopsin in our eyes.

ciao

dan

Can I put in a vote for one of these

RedBeam SP Self-Powered LED Flashlight - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

It the Orion windup redbeam torch. I think its one of the best things I ever bought for astro. I got mine for £14 and its brilliant.

No batteries so your never stuffed up in the dark and the little blighter can even charge a mobile phone.

My first one busted last winter - it got so cold the plastic became frangible and the winder handle shattered like glass - managed to bidge it together but bought another one straight away cos it was so useful. Its not the cheapest red light torch but its a real boon.

Looks and sounds GREAT. Serves more purposes then the regular red LED, BUT...................it cant be strapped onto your head to allow a hands free experience.

But i thinks it pro's far outweigh its con's.

NICE FIND.

Some more cheap but really useful ideas:

1. Another LED Headtorch, this has dual red & white LEDs. The white one is handy when setting up/dismantling you gear. LED Headlight

2. Bahtinov Masks - don't need to say much more there.

3. Those 3 drawer plastic storage units that you see in PoundStretcher. Wilkinson etc. Ideal for storing all those essential bits and bobs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
thanks thats really going to come in use! for a beginer (such as me) what i need is to go to a good shop and buy all those things because thats really going to help me!

Yeah... I think its time to ask your dad for some pocket money (sorry Russ) Lol...

OR

You could just steal all of his stuff like he has been doing to you :)

Deck / sun-bathing chair or any chair that enables lying close to horizontal; enabling comfy naked-eye (eg. meteor watching) or bino-assisted sky watching.

MP3 / ipod with music from 'cosmos', '2001' or 'Star wars' ! I especially like Ligeti's 'Atmospheres' and 'Lux aeterna' from '2001: a space odyssey'.

I 'second' the sun-bathing chair. Makes viewing, even with big bincs possible and strain free.

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the very first time the other week I used a table while observing. Just an old folding card table that's been cluttering the shed for years but what a difference it made! Previously I'd used a garden chair and the edge of the family trampoline for resting precious astro kit and laptops. I really can't think why it took me so long to realise what a difference this would make.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived