Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help He wants his money back

Hello, I sold a Celestron nightscape 8300 on ebay a month ago, I dont know anything about his rig but he says the camera is defective and wants his money back. The camera in only 4 months old and worked perfectly for me. Does anyone have any ideas what he could be doing wrong. see image below. I dont have a fits file or any other data than this photo he sent me. He called Celestron and of course they just said it is a defective camera I'm guessing because they dont want to take the time to work through his setup.

Thanks Carl

post-39807-0-23667600-1423185111_thumb.p

I am the buyer Carl20171 is referring to. 

The purchase was actually over cloudynight.com's classified section, the URL of the posting for sale is:

This is an excerpt of what I sent to Dean @ Starizona at Carl20171's insistence, though Dean and his company were not involved in the sale in any way:

He seems adamant that I am doing something wrong, but while I am positive that I am not, I am willing to look into it further.

Background:
I am converting from an EOS T3i to a dedicated camera. Being in Phoenix, I need the active cooler. I have both an Advanced VX and a CGEM mount, and have attempted to use the camera on both a Celestron EdgeHD 800 and an Explore Scientific 80mm APO. I have attempted to use the camera on both an older Dell and a newer HP laptop, the Dell being the one I typically run PHD and Backyard EOS with. I have also used both a the 7amp hour Celestron Powertank and the 17amp hour version. In all cases, I get the same results... Randomly corrupted images or no images at all.
I can hear the shutter actuate and I have watched it actuate while not connected to a telescope. Most of the time I get no image, regardless of exposure setting, but maybe 1 of three attempts I get a corrupted image. A screenshot from AstroArt of the FIT files is attached.

And the image attached to that email can be seen here

Note these are new test images taken specifically for that email. 

At Dean's recommendation, I will be trying a Celestron AC power supply, which I have just ordered next-day and it will be here tomorrow. I am however positive that voltage and amperage is not at fault here. I also tried several USB cables, thinking that perhaps one was damaged, but got the same results. 

Celestron did not decline to investigate my gear, despite what was said by Carl20171, and there is little doubt in my mind that they were incorrect in their assessment of the camera. They did say that since I am not the original purchaser, that the warranty is void though they did offer a paid RMA service. They haven't got me an estimate on that yet. 

I should stress that the camera was well packed and the packaging was undamaged when it arrived. I do hope that it can be demonstrated otherwise but all signs point to the camera being defective from the start. 

We need more info

looking at the data I think it could be a daylight image that has overloaded the sensor or the data suggests its been stretched and is showing 64k ADU

These were all daylight images, 0.05 second exposure, pointed and focused at a tree a couple blocks away. I would be happy to go take more right now, in fact I will do that. I just tested out my 7ah powertank and the 85ah one I built, the 17 is out on loan right now. Results for voltage: http://imgur.com/C1k02O2  http://imgur.com/d7eNAAC

Ill post results of images shortly.

That camera is too sensitive to take daylight photos at any exposure.  It's part of the learning curve coming from DSLR to CCD. Did you tell Dean they were daylight photos? Also the minimum focus distance on that camera for me was more than a few hundred yards. More like a half a mile.  Take it out at night and point at a star and see what you get. 

I disagree if you use a pinhole in card over the front or stop a camera lens stopped right down it can be used for testing purposes.

You will need a spacer to get focus with a camera lens somewhere in the region of 25mm, give or take 5mm

An IR blocking filter in the system would be an idea for colour imaging

A copy of every photon counts may help

Hello, I sold a Celestron nightscape 8300 on ebay a month ago, I dont know anything about his rig but he says the camera is defective and wants his money back. 

I am the buyer Carl20171 is referring to. 

The purchase was actually over cloudynight.com's classified section, the URL of the posting for sale is:

As a rule we don't become involved in disputes between buyers and sellers of secondhand kit, especially when the sale was made on another forum! But if the discussion remains civil and gentlemanly we'll let it run in the hope it helps you reach an agreement  :police:

Had same issues with the images last night... Met up with a member of one of the local astro groups and tested out his 8300, worked like a champ.

Celestron gave me good news though, they are gonna honor the warranty and swap it out for me without me having to send it back to the original owner first. Small blessings. 

Archived