Narrowband

Celestron Illuminated RACI Finderscope

Hi

I am looking to buy a RACI and this seems to be a good option, an alternative for a bit more money is the orion at £109 can anyone recommend one or the other or a decent alternative please?

Im not 100% sure but I do not think they are the same re-badged? base is different unsure of the optics etc?

Would I be better off spending a bit more, the TS optics looks rather nice but another £50 without the illuminated eyepiece I believe. If I would benefit long term I dont mind spending the extra.

It will be mounted on a 200p for now and at 625 grams was wondering should I be worried about weight as I cannot find the specs for standard SW finder  to compare.

Cheers

I have four, un-lighted  8 x 50 GSO RACI's and one Orion 9 x 50 lighted one that I use on my Dob in dark, desert skies.

RACI's are not rocket science, and most work just fine.  I wouldn't spent the extra money on the TS, if I were you.

Regarding the extra weight, the lighting element is not all that heavy; and I doubt you'd notice the difference on your Dob between a lit and unlit model of the same RACI.

Even when I take the Dob to the very dark (Bortle 2) desert, I rarely turn the light on.  When star-hopping, I know the width of the FOV and a critical measurement of the center is really not necessary, at least to me.

BTW: I'll bet dollars to dog biscuits that you leave the light on at least once when packing up to go home.  Not to worry, everyone has done it at least once.

Clear, Dark Skies

Beware, there seems to be an invisible force who`s sole job it is to see that illuminators are in the "on" position when not in use, after you were absolutely sure that it was switched "off" when you last used it :D I find mine quite useful at times. If you invest in one, keep a good stock of batteries on hand for those flat battery occasions :)

I have the Celestron illuminated RACI mounted on my C9.25 and it is a lovely rock solid piece of kit. But yes Glowjet is right about the invisible forces at work switching on our finderscopes .....

Archived