1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Celestron xl 5mm eyepiece

I completely agree with your sums about how much magnification is achieved. In theory, it should work and agree again with your calculation however, as the previous poster has said, I doubt it wil actually work. If it's any help I have a Celestron X-cel 2.3 mm ep and it's really more than any of my scopes will handle comfortably, even a10" Dob, although that should handle 500x magnification, the 2.3 ep delivers 521x mag, I soon got fed up with trying to find focus.

What the most powerful ep you've successfully coupled with a 2x Barlow so far?

I have to agree with the first two replies that you may find that 180x might well be too much for your scope. 

Having said that I use the Celestron XL eyepieces and like them a lot but it is difficult to advise others as EPs are very much a personal choice.

the problem with theoretical max magnification is that it assumes perfect conditions, perfect temperature equilibrium, perfect optics and perfect collimation. None of these are ever singly likely and for all four to be combined the odds are even lower. For this reason, a lot of people tend to recommend that the focal ratio of the scope is a good guide to the minimum focal length of the eyepiece. I.e. your scope might be good with an eyepiece of 4mm as it is an f4 scope. This would provide 114x magnification which I believe is a realistic maximum. You may find though that you can squeeze a little bit more or less depending on the conditions and the object. Based on my experience of a 114mm f4 scope the above seems fair. For Jupiter this will allow the main bands and moons to be seen, Saturn's rings and lots of detail on the moon. It will also be a good wide field scope for clusters etc.

• Like 2

The most powerful eyepiece I've tried on my telescope is the one that came with it, which is a 6mm with a 2x barlow yielding 150x mag or equivalent to a 3mm eyepiece. I can see Jupiter significantly bigger with less sharpness, but I can see more detail. The 5mm eyepiece will essentiay be a 2.5mm eyepiece. As the other member replied, if a xt10 cant handle a 2.5 eye piece a 4.5 def won't! Lol. Thanks for the info though, sure saved me $50, and it can be found at Amazon .com.

uote name="Gazabone" post="2556864" timestamp="1423149533"]

I completely agree with your sums about how much magnification is achieved. In theory, it should work and agree again with your calculation however, as the previous poster has said, I doubt it wil actually work. If it's any help I have a Celestron X-cel 2.3 mm ep and it's really more than any of my scopes will handle comfortably, even a10" Dob, although that should handle 500x magnification, the 2.3 ep delivers 521x mag, I soon got fed up with trying to find focus.

What the most powerful ep you've successfully coupled with a 2x Barlow so far?