Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 130EQ and DSLR's

Hey all,

I recently bought a basic T adapter and ring for my DSLR but it just doesn't seem to focus, after research I found that it will be very hard with just a normal T-Adapter as these newtonions aren't suited for it (Not long/big enough), better to use a webcam.

However I'd still like to give it a shot as naturally DSLR's will give better image quallity, I noticed this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-2x-universal-125-barlow.html

Will this work/aid the DSLR and is it worth buying or shall I just wait until I get a bigger scope? I don't mind spending the £24 if it will work to get my first basic images.

I tried using a webcam which worked fine with a 25mm eyepiece (Moon imaging) but anything 10mm or below it doesn't focus enough, even with manual focusing (Microsoft Lifecam 5001). Which brings me to my next question.

Should I be using a webcam with an eyepiece or should I just use it like a T-Adapter with no eyepiece attached?

Thanks!

I'm having a similar issue with my SW 130p-ds.  I struggle to get my DSLR to focus.  I did get it to focus with a x2 Barlow though (I have 2, a revelation one, and the deluxe Skywatcher one from 365 Astronomy that has the direct threading to the T-ring http://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-2x-De-Luxe-Achromatic-Barlow-Lens-with-T-Adapter.html).  I could only achieve focus with the Barlow in the chain when imaging the moon.

I also bought the revelation projection eyepiece adaptor, but couldn't get that to focus either.  I really need to have a closer look to see if I need to add a spacer, or see if I already had one in.  It's all pretty new to me.

Yes It needs a barlow as the focus tube doesn't go in enough to achieve focus.

Problem is if you put you adapter in the barlo you get too much magnification sometimes so what i do is unscrew the barlows lens and screw it on the adaptor. This brings the camera about 10 mm closer to the tube reducing magnification

Yes It needs a barlow as the focus tube doesn't go in enough to achieve focus.

Problem is if you put you adapter in the barlo you get too much magnification sometimes so what i do is unscrew the barlows lens and screw it on the adaptor. This brings the camera about 10 mm closer to the tube reducing magnification

I have the same issue as the OP and am considering moving the primary but your idea is something I have not tried,

Just to clarify are you saying unscrew the lens form the barlow and attach that to the adapter or unscrew the lens from the barlow and attach the barlow?

From newbie experience, don't bother trying to image with a Barlow... Unless it's planets your after. All you will get is smeared, poor quality images. Lunar images aren't really possible either as the Barlow increases magnification so much that you can't fit it all in the frame.

Everyone here will also tell you that you need the best mount you can afford. The basic ones that come on budget scopes just aren't up to it really.

I'm currently in the same position as you, and just about to purchase an upgrade of scope and mount.

Attach the Barlow.  It then gives you an extra 10mm as it's just an empty tube then.

tried that on mine that moves the dslr outwards,, the problem on the 130 with my 1100d and any dslr is not enough inward travel

That, I think, was the problem I had the other night (I have only had one clear night since getting my NEQ6 and 130 pds), but looking at the scope in the daylight, with an actual thinking cap on, I see I was using a "spacer" the whole time.  D'oh.  Waiting on a clear night so I can go out and see if I can manage to focus without the barlow.

As JR said above, the Barlow doesn't allow me to frame the moon properly, hence the following shot : 

First%20Moon%20Pic_zps0ruzzco4.jpg

The 130PDS is a different beats to the 130P you should not have focus issues with the PDS version, as its designed  to be used with a dslr,  the primary is mounted slightly further up the tube than on the P version

Hey all,

I recently bought a basic T adapter and ring for my DSLR but it just doesn't seem to focus, after research I found that it will be very hard with just a normal T-Adapter as these newtonions aren't suited for it (Not long/big enough), better to use a webcam.

However I'd still like to give it a shot as naturally DSLR's will give better image quallity, I noticed this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-2x-universal-125-barlow.html

Will this work/aid the DSLR and is it worth buying or shall I just wait until I get a bigger scope? I don't mind spending the £24 if it will work to get my first basic images.

I tried using a webcam which worked fine with a 25mm eyepiece (Moon imaging) but anything 10mm or below it doesn't focus enough, even with manual focusing (Microsoft Lifecam 5001). Which brings me to my next question.

Should I be using a webcam with an eyepiece or should I just use it like a T-Adapter with no eyepiece attached?

Thanks!

I just reread the OP and got confused.

A webcam will focus fine on a 130,  a dslr will not,

but it seems he is trying to use a DSLR with an eyepiece,

Can you please clarify is that's the case?|

As normally with a dlsr you use a T ring adapter and a nose piece instead of an eye piece, it still wont focus on this scope, but at least will make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Also just youy the webcam no eyepeice

As normally with a dlsr you use a T ring adapter and a nose piece instead of an eye piece, it still wont focus on this scope, but at least will make sure we are talking about the same thing.

perhaps he means using a webcam that isn't designed for imaging.. so it doesn't fit into the focuser.

perhaps he means using a webcam that isn't designed for imaging.. so it doesn't fit into the focuser.

I'm using the DSLR in the normal way, attaching a T-Ring and attaching the T-Adapter to the T-Ring, no eye piece attached.

Webcam isn't designed for imaging no, but it does give images, just not that great - See below (I celotape the webcam to the Eye Piece)

(Sorry for no crop, at work.)

10960052_1603176943248634_66211663629029

With the 8MM eye piece it is out of focus, almost no surface detail.

Would the barlow give more detail than the above? When taking photos with the DSLR? See below for a picture with only the DSLR, no scope. (Sorry for no crop, at work.)

10887640_1603485206551141_62664196167844

I have the same issue as the OP and am considering moving the primary but your idea is something I have not tried,

Just to clarify are you saying unscrew the lens form the barlow and attach that to the adapter or unscrew the lens from the barlow and attach the barlow?

This may be the OP's problem too as i read it

This is my adapter and ring. i cant get focus with this

post-41724-0-37125400-1423220276.jpg

This is my barlow with above place in it. it focuses with hi magnification.

post-41724-0-91907800-1423220276.jpg

i unscrew the lens from the barlow

post-41724-0-52045800-1423220277.jpg

And put it in the adapter /t-ring combi. this corrects the focus but brings camera closer to the tube decreasing magnification

post-41724-0-13971900-1423220278.jpg

Webcam isn't designed for imaging no, but it does give images, just not that great - See below (I celotape the webcam to the Eye Piece)

The idea with using a webcam is you remove the webcam lens, you remove the telescope eyepeice, you fit a nose cone to thw webcam, you put the webcam in the focus tube this is prime imaging, the telescope acts as a lens for the webcam.
  • Like 1

This may be the OP's problem too as i read it

This is my adapter and ring. i cant get focus with this

This is my barlow with above place in it. it focuses with hi magnification.

i unscrew the lens from the barlow

And put it in the adapter /t-ring combi. this corrects the focus but brings camera closer to the tube decreasing magnification

The idea with using a webcam is you remove the webcam lens, you remove the telescope eyepeice, you fit a nose cone to thw webcam, you put the webcam in the focus tube this is prime imaging, the telescope acts as a lens for the webcam.

Ah great, fantastic guys, answered my queries and added an extra bit of knowledge! (happy-kat).

Love this forum, again thanks so much. I think I'll buy the barlow for now, just to get to grips on DSLR imaging until I can afford a better scope as it's only £20.

Thanks for going the extra mile goose, pictures and all.

Thanks Goose, have just tried that and seems to work at least on a quick 10 sec exposure from my light polluted skies, stars are looking reasonably sharp,

Going to try it on moon later but its not visible from my garden until 1am due to houses blocking it

Jason you can by a webcam nosepiece for around £15   they come in either a universal thread that fits most cams, or a designated one, for the Phillips cams, got mine from Rother Valley Optics, but other retailers may stock them

I/we have the 130SLT which I think is almost the same tube, there may be differences in the focuser: the 130SLT has both 1.1/4 and 2-in focuser parts; this may mean this model has deeper travel focus range, there are differences between models/years. It also comes with the 1.1/4 T2 adaptor.

I use micro four thirds cameras (aka CSC or DSLM). The ones I have with remote cable release are the G5 and the GH4. These are mirrorless which places the sensor some 15mm closer to the lens mount than a DSLR. The drawback is that with the lens off the sensor is open to the sky; I have had to clean the sensor after using it on the scope. With a DLSR there is a mirror/shutter concealing the sensor and protecting it from the elements.

Consequently I like to use a Barlow to enclose the sensor access. A plain or clear UV filter would function just as well .

I can achieve prime focus using the short nose and lens mount adaptor but not with the longer Celestron 1.1/4 T2 adaptor (as shown above). The lens mount adaptors can be obtained in various lengths to adjust the back focus e.g. ask Zoltan at 365astronomy. The normal long adaptor is for fitting "legacy" lenses onto the camera at the position they should be if the camera had a mirror box, approx 35mm from sensor. Some adaptors have a 2cm tube which can be taken out; a short M43/T2 adaptor.

Different length lens mount adaptor should be available for DSLR but you have less wiggle room than does a mirrorless system camera..

Getting the camera to prime focus is something of a matter of guesswork. I have before now resorted to screwing the lens adaptor straight on to the focuser as it also has a T2 thread with its eyepiece collar unscrewed. The magnification should vary with the distances between secondary to Barlow lens and Barlow to sensor; these can be fiddled with. I can almost image the entire disc of the moon on the x2 Barlow alone. If I fit an eyepiece as well then I have to juggle extension tubes as the back focus has altered again; only the short 9mm will fit inside the adaptors without screwing tubes together Heath-Robinson fashion, and then finding I cannot get a focus point

But like I said, I do not like having the delicate sensor exposed. A digital camera with its state of the art sensor is much more sophisticated than a CCTV or webcam and far more expensive.

• 6 years later...

@goose35 I joined the forum just to say thanks for your post. I had a t-mount, an adapter, and a new 2x barlow adapter, but I still couldn't get close enough to the tube to get into focus.
thanks to your post, i realized that my barlow was threaded, and I could remove the lens on the tip, and thread it into the shorter adapter i had. now i'm able to rack focus beyond infinity. <3 

download (1).png