Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Moon Dance

Davide Simonetti

I hope I'm doing this right because I haven't posted a link on this this site before, but I wanted to share this short video clip of  a time-lapse of Jupiter and its moons. Please let me know if there is a better way do this  :smiley:

This is a very short time-lapse of Jupiter and its Gallilean moons taken on 2nd February 2015. One shot was taken every six minutes starting from 01:27 and ending at 03:40. This 24 frame sequence shows Io and its shadow transiting Jupiter while on the left Ganymede moves towards the planet and conjuncts with Callisto which is moving away from it. At the end of the sequence Io clears the planet and conjuncts with Europa which then disappears into shadow. Throughout the sequence the Great Red Spot can be seen moving across the frame as Jupiter rotates. Conditions were very good on this night with the best seeing we've had for some time which made processing so much easier than it was for the triple moon shadow conjunction the week before. Playback is at 6 fps.

Here is a still from the sequence...the video is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidesimonetti/16444555332/

post-33955-0-23465000-1423108299.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived