SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full Moon - 3rd Feb

PhotoGav

A new toy arrived yesterday morning and to my huge surprise the standard escape of cloud as I opened the package didn't happen... So, here is the first light with my new ASI120 MC-S:

post-29321-0-02736100-1423081618_thumb.p

It's a 22 pane mosaic using the Celestron EdgeHD 800 and reducer. I opted for a mono process of this simply to keep the stacking time down. Processed with PiPP, AS!2 and Photoshop CS5.

The camera is an absolute joy to use with FireCapture, so much easier than anything I've used before. I'm delighted with the quality of the captures and all in all, there's one happy bunny in Wiltshire! I tried to do some captures of Jupiter after this mosaic, with varied, but generally poor, success. I did however manage to freeze my fingers off trying (and generally failing) to find focus!

GAV....thats nice. Congrats on joining the Lunar (dark) side....;-)

What exposure settings did you use? must have been around 2-5Ms I guess. Did you use a filter? Focus is fun.....will be easier when the phase changes. Don't have a reducer myself, but find the basic captures without it can be epic!

Look forward to more ;-)

Thanks Steve. Not sure of the exposure, will check next time I have the PC running. No filter - that's an interesting concept though... Should I be considering filters with the MC to improve things?! Don't get me started on focussing.... I am seriously considering some kind of electric focuser. The spending only increases!

Loads more to do, so I now look forward to moon drenched nights and don't just curse them as a DSO enthusiast!

Think the MC version has an IR/Cut window, which might be a problem on the filter side. On the mono side its just clear glass, so I usually throw an IR PASS filter in and that works well. however if you added one onto the nosepiece of the MC, it would pass it, right to the point where the IR cut window is, then negate the effect. I guess you could use a Red filter? a lot of imagers use those to get more detail in their shots.

No need for a motor focuser. just a good focuser. I have that Moonlite crayford. and that is superb. yes it was expensive, but my focusing worries are a lot less these days. Keep em coming Gav.

True, yes it has a cut filter in it. I will probably leave filters out of the equation - that's why I went for the colour version of the camera,Mao that I could get images without all the added expense and time of filters and a wheel.

I have the Feathertouch upgraded focuser and it is way better than the standard focuser, but still tricky, especially with a blurry bouncy Jupiter!

No need for a motor focuser. just a good focuser. I have that Moonlite crayford. and that is superb. yes it was expensive, but my focusing worries are a lot less these days. Keep em coming Gav.

Interestingly after a very frustrating evening with jupiter last night, I've finally caved and gone for the Moonlite. The standard focuser (on the c9.25) in my case is just terrible :/

Good image Gav. New camera really seems to be working for you!

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will.

Good luck with the new focuser, I look forward to seeing some results. This planetary imaging is damn tricky I reckon and every time I try I have even more respect for those imagers producing the goods on here! In disgust I have put the QSI back on the C8 and have gone deep sky again.....

Interestingly after a very frustrating evening with jupiter last night, I've finally caved and gone for the Moonlite. The standard focuser (on the c9.25) in my case is just terrible :/

Good image Gav. New camera really seems to be working for you!

Cheers

Will

You won't regret it....though you will go blind playing with it...;-)

Oh and it will increase your image scale a bit as well...always handy!

Thanks Steve, at the moment I'm struggling to get much surface definition from Jupiter (see this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236383-jupiter-bw-08022015/ ) which I think is due, in part, to dodgy focusing so I'm hoping this will help. Obviously not with my 'vision' lol

Oh, and I've just read my last post back to myself and think I need to hand back every English qualification I ever gained lol

Will,

those look like there is a lot of data, and exactly what mine look like when they come out of the stacker. Can you get me a copy of them (not JPEG)..let me have a look at them see if i can help? no promises but hey....

And Gav..keep at it...dont put the QHY back!

Just replied to your other thread Will, but in short, as Steve suggests, I think there is plenty in there and plenty more to squeeze out. You are really getting close to Jupiter Nirvana I reckon!

As for the QSI, I had a dabble yesterday evening, but seeing was very misty so I only ended up carrying out a few experiments towards my next DSO project. As soon as there is a clear and steady sky I will be back on the Jupiter case!

......and a successful first light it was too!. Lovely image and congratulations on the new camera :smiley: .

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived