Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing scope

Garethr

Has anyone else had problems balancing their telescope, Mine is a Skywatcher 200p with a cannon EOS 1100D mounted and using the 9x50 finderscope with a QHY guide cam

It appears that having these 2 pieces of kit next to each other balancing the scope is almost impossible

My thought were to move the finderscope and guide cam into a position 180 deg to the focuser and camera. or opposite side of the OTA would this help?

Last nights first attempt at guiding was very jerky and eggy stars after 2 min exposure my feeling is its down to the scope being out of balance

Has anyone else had problems balancing their telescope, Mine is a Skywatcher 200p with a cannon EOS 1100D mounted and using the 9x50 finderscope with a QHY guide cam

It appears that having these 2 pieces of kit next to each other balancing the scope is almost impossible

My thought were to move the finderscope and guide cam into a position 180 deg to the focuser and camera. or opposite side of the OTA would this help?

Last nights first attempt at guiding was very jerky and eggy stars after 2 min exposure my feeling is its down to the scope being out of balance

Set the camera underneath on the same side as the weight, the guide camera and scope can also be either underneath if the FOV is not obstructed or 180 degrees from the camera as most people have it. setting the camera underneath makes for easier balancing as you require less counter weight and with a bit of luck you do not have to rotate the tube and slide up and down as much but some adjustments will be required. Have a watch of this video, it is a good one I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGduG2jB9ec

A.G

Thanks lensman

Watched video (Learnt from it) re balanced scope and guiding much smoother tonight till the clouds rolled in :(

Still climbing this vertical learning curve that is imaging starting to think learning to speak Cantonese would be easier and less frustrating :) 

Thanks lensman

Watched video (Learnt from it) re balanced scope and guiding much smoother tonight till the clouds rolled in :(

Still climbing this vertical learning curve that is imaging starting to think learning to speak Cantonese would be easier and less frustrating :)

Funny you should say that I work for bunch of Cantonese guys. Glad you got it sorted.

A.G

Archived