Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shortlisted - 2 Telescopes

Hi again,

I've been having a really good read up on telescopes that are available and I think ( due to size and portability ) that these two are going to be the most suitable.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

I ditched the idea of binoculars because I wanted to see more of space as opposed to " across the bay " type of thing. Don't get me wrong, I've read wonderful reviews of some binoculars that are available, I just don't think they are what I'm looking for at this time.

Please could somebody take a look at the two I've shortlisted and offer some feedback. Maybe somebody has one or has tried one and could comment?

Thanks very much guys ( and gals ).

Max

Thank you Sub Dwarf.

I should add that Martin at First Light Optics has been absolutely brilliant and so very helpful. He's given me so much to think about and explained what my different options are, so that, together with the help I've already had on here, should guide me well.

Thank you all again.

The 150P is the better.

Bigger aperture and at f/7 (something like that) it has better versitility with regards magnification, eyepieces and collimation.

The 130P will I think need a table to place it on so although the scope may be smaller the additional bits are likely to make life worse.

Good advice above, I'd like to add -

Heritage 130, great portability, but negated by needing a solid table or other support.

Neither scope is a mistake, both very capable of giving loads of great astronomy, but on balance I'd choose the 150 Dob.

But only you can decide what's best for your personal needs.

All the best in your choice, Ed.

Hi again

I bagged a bargain!

A chap in Manchester was selling their Skywatcher 130P on Gumtree for £95.00. I read the description and it had great pics of the scope and accessories etc, and it seemed well looked after. They had upgraded to a much bigger scope and wanted to sell this one on. Altogether with the cost of delivery, £110.00.

This was one of the two that I had shortlisted and I understand that some of you said to get the other scope, but I thought this would guide me nicely into the world of astronomy, and I can always upgrade in a year or two's time.

I also bought myself a couple of books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007598688?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1405356200?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

and this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DQR93LG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Is there anything else that I will need or am I good to go?

I'm soooo chuffed! :grin:

Thanks for the advice happy-kat, I'm really excited, and I'm looking forward to receiving it!

One thing that I have seen mentioned is purchasing a 3x barlow lens. Is this necessary or more of an optional extra? Does anybody on the forum use one?

Thanks again,

Max

Hi Max

Not sure I'd purchase a 3x barlow myself. They tend to add too much mag for visual observing. A 2x barlow is a superb accessory and I would highly recommend one of them though.

I think anything over 2x is more aimed at imaging.

Hello Max

I have the DK - the practical astronomer book also - very happy with it.

As I was recommended from helpful site - Stellarium is definitely worth a download (and its free)

enjoy your new scope

Skip both telescopes and check out the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P. It will better the 150 by some margin, is easy on eyepiece selection, slightly dearer, but the end result will be worth the extra expense.

Also, do buy some Binoculars of say 10x50 or 8x40 to accompany the telescope.

Binoculars like my 15x70 are not very good in the optical department, but were very cheap. However, most x70 binoculars will just about show the shape of say for example, Jupiter and its Moons, but no surface detail of the Planet. The Telescope will give you the details you require, the binoculars will give you the vistas, very quick in use, amazing for just lying back viewing constellations, and the Milky Way.

If you can only have either one of your present choice, then the 150. But do consider the 200P.

Edit. How did I miss #8 ? Enjoy the new scope, but still consider the advice, maybe you will upgrade sooner than you plan ?

I just cottoned on that I've been calling people " sub dwarf " and " brown dwarf " and not by their actual user names!

My apologies NGC 1502 and Laurie61  :lipsrsealed:

Thanks for the advice to all re the x3 Barlow, I wasn't sure whether I would need one or not. You've put my mind at rest one that. I did check out the Skyliner 200 and it looked amazing, but it's out of my price range at the moment. Like you say though, it's always one that I can keep in mind as a future upgrade. I am also looking at binoculars.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! 

I just cottoned on that I've been calling people " sub dwarf " and " brown dwarf " and not by their actual user names!

My apologies NGC 1502 and Laurie61  :lipsrsealed:

Thanks for the advice to all re the x3 Barlow, I wasn't sure whether I would need one or not. You've put my mind at rest one that. I did check out the Skyliner 200 and it looked amazing, but it's out of my price range at the moment. Like you say though, it's always one that I can keep in mind as a future upgrade. I am also looking at binoculars.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

No prob, been called much worse ! Enjoy the new scope, Ed.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Well, to cut a long story short, I've ended up with 2 telescopes!! :smiley:

Both of them are the Skywatcher 130P, one is brand new, and one is used but in very good nick, which I'll keep.

I will of course be asking LOADS of questions as I go along and try and get the telescope set up! :grin:

Thanks again,

Max

Hi,

at least the benefit of buying one of the scopes 2nd hand is that when the time comes that you want to get rid of it you can sell it on for around what you paid for it with little or no loss and use the cash to get other useful stuff!

I hope you realise that getting too much astro stuff at the same time just encourages the clouds :smiley:

Graham.

I'm beginning to get that feeling!

I had a go at trying to set it up the other day, but for the life of me, I hadn't a clue, even after following the instructions!

The reason I ended up with 2 scopes was because the one that I bought second hand got bashed around so much on the way to me, the box was in tatters and a couple of plastic bits were floating around the bottom of the box ( still not sure where they're from! ) Also the ring part at the very end of the extending bit where the mirror is and which I have no clue as to what it's called, had snapped and was flapping about, so at that point I called the seller and told him all this.

He was absolutely gutted, and luckily had taken out insurance on sending it by courier. He said he would get me a brand new scope when he got the insurance money through, but I explained that I was quite happy to glue the part together ( which I've done ) and that if he felt so obliged, then perhaps he could refund me the postage money I paid. He was having none of it, thus the reason I've ended up with two scopes! I did mention that I didn't need two scopes, but he said to me to sell one of them.

I will have another bo tonight

Archived