Narrowband

Remote Control

Carina Lass

I was having tremendous difficulty getting two pcs totalk to each other.

one was a winxp and the other win8.1

Having busted a gut trying to connwct them, I found out that the required software was nit included in win8.1 D'OH!!

So I hopped onto the web and found teamview.

not only did this work instantly with wifi, I popped in the cat5 cable to the obsy and presto-- within a few minutes I had a wonderful connection able to drive my gear from my bedroom 80 metres away.

Why do Microsoft seem to make it so hard?

It has a wake on lan too which I may try at a later date.

If I can fit some relays, I might even hook up the roof and go fully auto remote so I can get it up and running from uk.....that would be monster

The Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol server component is only included with "premium" versions of the operating system, while the client is available from all versions. What version is your intended client computer?

RDP, by the way, is far superior to any of the third party offerings such as TeamViewer. It will give you a much snappier response and arbitrary resolution on the client screen. The third party ones only give the screen in the size it is on the server computer.

/per

RDP might be great but if it isn't supplied, then it isn't....is it?

The point is, it should be supplied or mentioned in the blurb that it isn't.

I actually bought the laptop after getting confirmation that it WAS capable.

The salesman obviously didn't know.

I use Team Viewer because of exactly this reason and I have say that it's great. One of its advantages to me is that it makes it very easy to access my observatory pc from anywhere that I have Internet access from any device. During an imaging run, I spend my time doing other stuff with the PHD graph on my iPhone.

The Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol server component is only included with "premium" versions of the operating system, while the client is available from all versions. What version is your intended client computer?

RDP, by the way, is far superior to any of the third party offerings such as TeamViewer. It will give you a much snappier response and arbitrary resolution on the client screen. The third party ones only give the screen in the size it is on the server computer.

/per

I believe it is possible to install Microsoft RDP on non-premium grades of Windows. If you google for Install RDP Windows 7 there are various sites. Obviously be careful - nasty things lurking out there but I know for a favt that it does work - I know a man who can - and did for me. I second Per's remarks above, it is much superior to Teamviewer.

Regards, Hugh

Archived