SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this worth getting

The motor - if it works - will enable the scope to track objects once it's polar aligned - otherwise you'll track manually turning the big knobs you see in the images. The scope doesn't appear to have a finder (which is pretty essential) so do figure that into your budget. The scope can be had new (no motor) for £119 (see FLO) so I wouldn't bid more than £40 to £50 tops if it was me. Hope that helps. :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-skyhawk-1145p.html

An ra motor drive connects to the ra gear, 9v battery powers the unit. It depends how much it was used to determine how much life it still has, the md do a nice job but, you still need to use your dec cable to compensate for the drift. I've used Celestrons with my powerseeker eq80  viewed and videoed the Moon and Planets with an electronic ep.  If everything is ok, it's a good starter set with nice views of Solar System object and brighter DSO's.

But it has a lens at the front with a centre plate, does that not make it a macsutov newtonian or at least a straight mak?

I too saw that the fl was 1400mm but the presence of a lens made me think it could not be a 'bird jones'.

Focal Length: 1400mm (catadioptric system) on searching on the reference number given.

The question in post#1 it depends on how tight is the budget. For an EQ mount then the minimum would be EQ3-2, CG4 equivalent mounts.

These would give you a little room to grow into with your 70 and up to a 150 Newt, ST80, DSLR+Lens. The EQ1 mount is really quite feeble and any wind will have the tripod shaking like a leaf. (1 on my left as I type).

The telescope you show looks cheap enough to have a punt at, but don't expect great things.

Generally a rule of thumb on e-bay is if the seller is unsure it works you can bet your bottom dollar it doesn't.

I once worked in a model railway shop, It was an eyeopener  to view the stuff comming in for repair from e-bay sales. They nearly was my dads/uncle/other relative, all said believed to be ok but unable to test

Archived