SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Orion Nebula M42 in HaRGB

Dave Smith

Having tried to get some OIII and SII with a near full Moon and failing miserably I have tried combining my recent Ha image with one taken in December 2012 with a modified DSLR. To stop the Ha swamping the colour image the transparency was set at 52% and over the running man even less.

The FOV is slightly less due to the smaller DSLR image.

M42-HaRGB01.jpg

Dave

I took one look at that "2nd Sun" last night and decided to give it a miss, its pointless imaging when its that bright.

As for the image, you might want to try pushing the blue channel a bit - it might bring about a few halos and require a bit of NR to make it sit better, but it should introduce that bit of purple(ish) colour you normally get from an RGB image.

Also you could try a layer mask so the Ha is only applied to the area just outside M42 and the running man. It takes a bit of fiddling, but it does work.

Thanks Rob, some more ideas to play around with on a cloudy night ! I only resorted to trying my 2 year old DSLR image as the Moon effectively ruined my SII and OIII subs. I really need to wait for a Moonless night and do it properly, RGB or narrowband.

@Paddy - I have tried your idea but my first attempt wasn't that good. I have used that technique with CCD HaRGB but it hadn't occurred to me to split the channels of the DSLR image.

Dave

Tons of data dave very nice. However and please dont take this the wrong way but i  wonder if maybe the layers are perfectly aligned as it looks a touch soft? it could well be my monitor or even more likely my eyes but just wondering.

It is well aligned, but what you are seeing is probably the DSLR poking through making it soft as the Ha as luminance is only 52% transparent. What I really need is a proper set of CCD RGB images to combine with the Ha. The stars in the DSLR image are blobs in comparison with the Ha CCD image. I only thought of combining these due to the weather and running out of time. For the time being perhaps I should have stuck with the Ha alone http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/235426-m42-in-ha/

Dave

Archived