Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from County Durham

johnnyboy

Hello People.

I have just started Astronomy, literally 2-3 weeks ago, and have been offered a Skywatcher 200p eq5 for £150...is it worth it?? Can someone explain lenses and eyepieces. I'm confused. The telescope will come with 10mm eyepiece and a 8x50mm eyepiece. Now, I know I will need some more equipment, but am a little lost....???? Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

johnnyboy

Hi Johnyboy I think you will get more reaction if you move your post to

getting started general help and advice the good folk there will probably 

like to help you far more than I can

good luck and clear skies

Robin

Hi Johnnyboy and welcome to SGL the 200P / EQ5 is one of the most popular scope/mount used by forum members, but I think you really need some local help and advice before making any purchase. Do you have a local Astronomy club which could advise you ? :)

Hi johnnyboy and welcome to the forum. I think Laudropb has nailed the details for you and if in good nick then the scope you mention will be a good buy. Regarding eyepieces, you might want to take a look at this 'sticky' which explains in a more detail what you need to know and appears as the very first post that the link takes you to. Remember that an eyepiece will present a different image when used in scopes that have a different 'focal length' which is the 'F' number that you see detailed on the side of scopes. The link will explain in more depth the implications that this will have on any given sized eyepiece and the easy calculations that you can do to determine the optical differences that can help you decide on what size eyepiece will best suite your scope.

Clear skies, good luck with your potential purchase and hope you enjoy your stay here!

Hi and welcome to SGL - Good advice so far, I'm afraid I can add nothing as what I know about actually looking through a scope could be written on a very small pin head :D Just wanted to welcome you to the fold.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Greetings and welcome to SGL! Nice to have you aboard. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

That could be a very good buy - if in good shape and well maintained. But doing some studying before buying any telescope is a good idea. A trek to a local astronomy club meet is also a great idea. Then you could get a real idea of what's what and how it works. And do make certain that what you buy isn't at an unbelievably low price, said to be new, and comes from Indonesia!

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived