Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse, August 2017

Paul M

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

It's a good one!

Lots and lots of land based opportunities for observing this one. According to Google the locals are generally civilised, they have basic sanitation, a language similar to English and some hotels :D

I traveled to relatively local European destinations to see the 1999 eclipse (Golden Sands, Bulgaria) and the 2006 eclipse (Side, Turkey). Having survived a recent trip to New York, I'm wondering about making an effort for this one. Still got time to save up but I suspect hotel spaces are selling already.

Not that I'd pay for an inclusive tour but I see some tour operators are adverising some nice itineraries taking in Yellowstone NP, which is to the north of the eclipse track.

I'm guessing that in August the eastern seaboard will be at risk from convective weather activity, being the hurricane season.

So, who's going?

I would love to go- just a month after my 70th birthday - what a way to celebrate. We will see.....

I also went to the 1999 one ( few seconds glimpse between clouds in Strasbourg) and 2006 (the full monty in Libya) and would love to experience another.

I don't believe that you need much equipment- just binoculars and naked eye - but if you're in to imaging I supose it's a different story

I would love to go but I'd have to get a lightweight setup to take out with me.

Plenty of time to collect one though :grin:

Light weight?

How much do your eyeballs weigh? :D

When I was in Turkey for the 2006 eclipse there was a large contingent on the beach from Sky & Telescope. They had tons of gear and were wrapped up in winter coats.

We just strolled along the beach in our swimwear and stood in the sea watching it happen.

I wouldn't want the distraction of imaging gear, unless is was set for an automatic run.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Well this one is most definitely the BIG ONE. Not since 1999 have we had a total solar eclipse which occurs over a wide, easily accessible and well populated part of the globe. Not to mention the fantastic enthusiasm of our fellow American's, they'll make sure this one isn't forgotten.  

The only downside I can think of is despite the fact that totality corridor that falls on land is vast, so will the popularity of this eclipse and I would imagine every hotel, campsite, attraction anywhere near that corridor we'll get very busy very fast and that usually means higher prices.

I certainly hope to go especially as I have a son and his family living in San Francisco. I was clouded out in Cornwall in 1999 but like Paul I viewed the total in 2006 in Side, Turkey. I have had two Annular Eclipses as well - one in Spain and the other in the United States.

The problem is deciding on location and clearly the western side will be the best for weather - we need advice from our American colleagues.

I believe the page I linked to in my first post derives it's data from Fred Espenak's/NASA site: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse.html.

I seem to remember that Fred collates vast amounts of relevant weather and other data relating to the probable visibility of specific eclipses from specific sites. I used his maps to precisely plan my trip for the 2006 eclipse. I found a hotel right on the center line and right on the beach so booked it well in advance. No travelling required on eclipse day :)

I think I used the same resources for the Bulgaria trip too though the resort was a few miles south of the center line so we took a bus ride on eclipse day.

Not long ago I came across the file I kept in the planning stages. Complete with a few pairs of eclipse glasses!

The 2008 Total Eclipse that ran through Siberia never really got past preliminary planning. Climate statistics were grim and apparently very few hotels had running hot water in the general area of Novosibirsk. Heat I can take. Cold I can't.

We could have combined it with a expedition on the Trans Siberian Railway. That would have been something!

The 2012 Total Eclipse that passed through Cairns, Australia never got to cast its shadow on my balding head either. It was a long way to go for 2mins of totality. I could have done some scuba diving on the GBR to justify the the journey but the MD wouldn't have been too impressed. "An eclipse and diving trip? You must be joking!" :)

As for 2017, well, that has a maximum totality of 2:40 in Illinois and only 2:20 further west where tourists might take in Yellowstone too.

We're spoiled for choice! If it's looking viable I'll need to get studying. Starting with historical average sunshine hours on August 21st for all points along the eclipse track. I don't know much about seasonal weather types in the central US.

We intend visiting Wyoming for this one. Funnily enough started pricing it up over the weekend based on a 10 day visit arranging our own flights and accommodation rather a packaged tour. Looking forward to this event, particularly after the disappointment of Cornwall 1999  :huh:. We are aiming to book accommodation later this year, but can't decide whether to stay in one place, or move about and stay in different locations.

We intend visiting Wyoming for this one. Funnily enough started pricing it up over the weekend based on a 10 day visit arranging our own flights and accommodation rather a packaged tour. Looking forward to this event, particularly after the disappointment of Cornwall 1999  :huh:. We are aiming to book accommodation later this year, but can't decide whether to stay in one place, or move about and stay in different locations.

Have you stayed there before? If so any recommendations on holiday lodges or hotels? Having never been before I haven't got a clue where to start looking. Wyoming looks good and to be around the grand teton national park sounds very tempting. 

Have you stayed there before? If so any recommendations on holiday lodges or hotels? Having never been before I haven't got a clue where to start looking. Wyoming looks good and to be around the grand teton national park sounds very tempting. 

Hi Michael,

No, never been before, but its always been an area of the USA I'd like to visit. Some of the astro tour companies are mentioning Jackson, so I'm going to start looking there. Looking on the internet there's loads of hotels/motels around that area.

Bob

Archived