sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Myriad 20mm V Meade 24mm uwa

avtaram

I've been thinking of getting a Myriad 20mm eyepiece for the really wide field experience.

In the 12" Dob it will give me a mag of x76 and a fov of 1.3*.

I already have a Meade 5000 24mm uwa which gives me a mag of x63 and also a fov of 1.3*.

My question is, would be worthwhile me getting the Myriad when I get the same fov in both even though the Myriad gives a higher mag.

Avtar

I don't think you would need both Avtar. The Myriad 20mm is an excellent 100 degree eyepiece so if you are keen to have that wider field of view and the very slightly darker background sky that the higher magnification would bring it could replace the Meade 24mm 5000 UWA but I think having them both in the eyepiece case would be uncesssary duplication.

• Like 1

+1 on John`s answer.unless you sell the Meade UWA to replace it with Myriad what maybe makes sense,but keeping both deffo not.Not that you will gain anything on that swap either apart of a few lost quid :)

I suspect the Myriad offers more than just the wider FoV against the Meade UWA. I've been very hard pushed to see what the Ethos 21 does better than the Myriad 20.

• Like 1

I suspect the Myriad offers more than just the wider FoV against the Meade UWA. I've been very hard pushed to see what the Ethos 21 does better than the Myriad 20.

I can see the Myriad replacing the Meade UWA at some point but I will wait for your review of the Myriad eyepieces first before I actually pull the trigger on one ( or two or three or ........).

Avtar

I've just taken the plunge, having faced a similar conundrum, albeit going from mere SWAs, to 100deg. I'd previously had UWAs, so I'm not unaware of the middle ground, but wasn't really getting on with the Delos 17mm and fancied a change. The ES100 20mm kind of rendered the 20, 24, 28 redundant too and as I've got a 40mm SWA for maximum FoV in a 2" EP, the 34mm went as well.

Russell

Edited by russ.will
  • Like 1

I've been very hard pushed to see what the Ethos 21 does better than the Myriad 20.

Wow! that is pretty exciting stuff John. Will you be doing a review (he asks with baited breath)??

Fingers crossed its corrected to f/4...........

Wow! that is pretty exciting stuff John. Will you be doing a review (he asks with baited breath)??

Fingers crossed its corrected to f/4...........

I have about 20 hours clocked up with the Myriads in my 3 scopes Steve and lots of notes to collate. I'll try and get something together ASAP.

My fastest scope is F/5.3 though so it's quite possible that F/4 would find things out that I've not been able to experience. I'm sure the Myriads will be at SGLX though so you could try them for yourself then, clouds permitting :smiley:

• Like 1

John,

Not that I have ever visited the area but I believe F4 blows holes in most eyepieces, I still can't wait to see what F4.3 does to some of the eyepieces I still have here which I will have for  awhile longer, The new scope can't be much longer.

Avtar's 24mm UWA was a very good eyepiece and I am not just saying that as it once was mine but it is very interesting to hear what you say about the Myriads. I feel though if you do have a fast scope the 21mmE is worth holding on to.

Alan

• Like 1