30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

QHY5L-II guiding problems.

kalasinman

Attempting to guide the new scope for the first time. Using an Orion TOAG and QHY5L-II guide cam. I get good video and plenty of stars, but the software won't calibrate as "star didn't move enough". After almost a week of trying with both PHD2 and Meta Guide, I've realized the camera isn't getting the commands to the mount (ST4 setup). At this point not ready to throw ASCOM in the mix. Besides checking and re-checking drivers and settings, I've checked the wires in the cable for correct terminations and continuity tested it, all good.

So as everything is new and un-tested, perhaps the camera has issues?

Edited by kalasinman

I had exactly the same issue when I first set up my QHy5L-ii, although I had it mounted on an SW finder scope. The problem turned out to be the settings I was using. I managed to get a copy of somebody else settings, and I haven't looked back since.  

• Like 1

What is the calibration step size set on?

You may need to up that, I use a step size of 750 for my 400mm fl ST80 guide scope, if you are using an OAG then what is the focal length of your scope?

The bigger the scope, the smaller the step size.

Hope that helps

AB

• Like 1

Thanks all for kind assistance. Yes, I've played with the settings and learned from the process. I've tried step sizes from 50 to 5000. I did find the ST4 cable to be entirely correct as to termination and continuity, but not contacting initially due to not being pushed in far enough, even though the lock tab had engaged. That got the mount responding to manual guiding commands. The E-W direction has a fair amount of slack in the motor, and a new motor on the way.

Now comes the humor, I discovered that the guide camera is way out of focus. I did a gross measurement of distance initially but neglected to use Firecapture to really check it in the daytime.  Rookie.

Laughing at myself this morning. I'll be using the rig on daytime terrestrial objects this morning after tea is finished.--Jack

• Like 1

Using the mm scale on the focuser, I achieved focus on each camera. Guider=16mm DSLR=8mm. Ordered 8mm extension tube for guide cam.

With guide cam in focus Meta Guide calibrated quickly and started guiding! Just have to wait for the extension tube, and I'll be in business.--Jack

Edited by kalasinman