Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The moon - taken for granted?

sargey

Only my second time out with my new skywatcher 200p dob, thought I would look at the moon, didn't get too excited about the thought of it, as it's just the moon right? see it all the time!!! Set scope up, dropped in the 10mm EP that came with it. Aimed at the moon . Wow , how stunningly captivating, talk about taking things for granted, can't wait to get out again.. Although I was very happy with the detail through the supplied 10mm, does anyone have any recommendation for an eye piece that would give me even more detail or mag.. Not sure what size or make eyepiece I could get away with..

Thanks in advance

Nick

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree Nick. if you have a barlow lens, then you can expand the magnification (a x2 barlow will double the effective focal length of the scope). Another good lunar resource is the virtual moon atlas (free download). will help you find interesting features and facts about dimensions etc. A moon filter can help as well to take the glare away when the moon is in its 'fuller' stages...

You could also pop over to the imaging - Lunar section on this forum. where we all post images taken with all sorts of scopes and techniques (Afocal, Prime and Webcam imaging) and usually descriptions of phases etc help to locate the objects if you have not seen them before.

You can spend a lifetime examining it....just like the late great Sir Patrick Moore.

Regards

Thanks Steve and John, will look out for a 6 or 5, what brand would you recommend? I did get a Barlow from Amazon, only a cheap one , seben I think, but couldn't seem to focus it. i just can't get over how mysterious, haunting, and wonderful the moon looked through a scope, money well spent and completed justified. Will check out that download, thanks very much chaps.

Hi, Nick. The Moon can be taken for granted - until you look at it through a telescope!

I have always loved looking at the Moon and the first time through binoculars was a game changer. I loved it.

And since I've 'moved on' to a scope I think it's even more wonderful. So much to see and learn. As Steve writes above, there's a lifetime of observing in the Moon alone. And we have all that other stuff - a whole sky full of it.

What's not to like ...?

I agree, i love looking at the moon and on nights like tonight (clearest night here for weeks) when the moon is nearly full and hence you can't see much else, it makes a great evenings viewing ( the Babbage and Pythagoras craters looked amazing tonight)

Tonight i was using my 11mm Explore Scientific eyepiece and my William Optics SPL 6mm - both great for viewing the moon (and Jupiter).

Also, I can heartily recommend the "Hatfield lunar atlas" digitally remastered edition book. I've been using it recently to identify craters etc. on the moon, it has greatly detailed maps alongside photos so you can easily find what your looking for.

You may also want to check out the Sky and Telescope lunar 100 list - makes a great challenge to tick them all off.

I'm guilty of taking it for granted, it's the nearest thing to us and I hardly ever look at it.

Unfortunately as I've imaged DSOs more, the Moon has become something to curse at lol

Especially when it has the habit of being clear only on a Full Moon ( what's that all about right?)

All of the above, and. if you're planning a specific lunar night, and not worrying about any deep sky targets, then don't worry about either dark adaption or lunar filters, use a nice bright camping lantern for reading your books and reference materials to the moon by :D. The lunar 100 is an excellent way for discovering the moon and learning how to observe. 

I have both the Virtual Moon Atlas, and a copy of "New Atlas of the Moon" by Ligault and Brunier which I find very useful. 

I definitely took the moon for granted for a while.

The funny thing is that it was one of the first things I looked at with a telescope and that view floored me! It was amazing. I sort of forgot about how wonderful it was and headed on into DSO observing and imaging, and like many here got to find the moon annoying for making imaging tricky/DSO observing very limited at times.

I have now abandoned the DSO imaging (switched to solar and lunar, perhaps life will be more open to DSO imaging at a later date, though solar will always be my big love now). And now that I have spent a bit more time on the moon I realise just how much I was missing while being focused on DSOs. There aren't many things we can see in that kind of detail up there.

One thing I love about solar is how unpredictable and changing it is. But I love how the Moon compliments that. I also like familiarity too (I love seeing the constellations, they feel like old friends), and getting to know and love lunar features, while them still being spiced up by the changing illumination and libration, is a real buzz.

Another clear night forecasted for tomorrow night. And full moon :-) . Will be looking forward to that.

I don't currently have a moon filter though, would it be beneficial to get one?

Thanks again for all advice

Nick

I like a number of posters I started out thinking the moon was a curse and then spent a little time and effort viewing and getting to know it a bit better and am now a fan.

BTW the Virtual Moon Atlas together with the Luna 100 gives structure and interest and makes you look, not just glance and go on to something else. 

As has been mentioned seeing the same feature under different lighting conditions is quite surprising until you have experienced it for yourself.

Good luck and enjoy.

Another clear night forecasted for tomorrow night. And full moon :-) . Will be looking forward to that.

I don't currently have a moon filter though, would it be beneficial to get one?

Thanks again for all advice

Nick

Nick,

The full moon isn't the best, as everything is lit from 'diretly overhead' as it were. There's much reduced contrast. Nothing wrong with looking, but you'll see different things. 

As for the moon filter, if you're only going to be lunar observing, then a moon filter isn't necessary. If you intend to switch back and forth, between moon and deep sky, then yes, you should get a moon filter. I used to setup for a lunar session only, and use a nice bright camping lantern. It's so much easier to read your books, make sketches etc by.

So, checked out the moon again last night in its fullness, appreciate the advice now that some contrast is lost. Still remarkable though, with a quick nudge of the dob and jupiter to. :-). Also started the future learn OU moons course which is very interesting indeed. What would be the best time to view the Moon? I've read somewhere maybe 4 days after full moon, is that correct? I know it depends on what part of the Moon you want to observe but was wandering if there was a preferred time amongst you all?

Thanks

Nick

There is really no best time, as you mention different phases will show different features. To get the best from Luna observing it is best to observe each night from new back to new, actually there are significant differences to be seen from early to late on the same evening.

Take your time and enjoy.

I never take our close satellite for granted, one day it will be a deep sky object as it is moving away from Earth (a long time), i have, and always will find it an object of extreme beauty and pure fascination with so much to image and observe 

I love the moon in every phase but hate the new moon ,it never looks the same the shadows also are great they move so fast at times it's crazy scan the terminator it's just breath taking at times ,I love doubles clusters ect but the moon is always my fav

Pat

Archived