Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finest and best eyepieces you ever used!

denis0007dl

Interesting list A :smiley:

Shows how personal eyepiece choice is - the Pentax XW's are probably the most comfortable eyepieces that I own. I do find that I need the eye cup section twisted to it's uppermost position though. In the lowest position or even halfway up I run into black outs and kidney beaning. When I read the Pentax instructions thats what they predicted though, I understand the lower eye cup positions are intended for those that wear glasses when observing.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best ones I have used are the ones I currently have :D

For planetary, the XW7 and XW10 together with the Delos 8mm make an awesome threesome, but the fact that the Delos is far from parfocal with the XWs is sometimes a pain, and I have the odd pang of regret selling the Pentax XF8.5. The Vixen SLV 5 is VERY nice indeed, and an SLV 6 might join the line up (perhaps even a 9)

For planetary nebulae, the Nagler 12T4 and XW10 are best. I sometimes think about replacing the former with a Delos 12 and Delos 14.

For galaxies the mighty Nagler 31T5 Panzerfaust together with the 22T4 and 17T4 take centre stage (with the occasional cameo appearance of the 12T4).

Wide field: LVW42 and 31T5 again.

In my old 6" F/8 I did like the old circle-T 25mm ortho. Superb little EP, although the coatings where definitely not as good as modern ones (simple MgF2, I think). I hated the 5mm version: WAY too short eye relief.

I have fond memories of a 16.8mm Orion MegaVista I used to own.  At one time I considered replacing it with a 16 Nagler T-5, but in comparison, I thought the contrast of the 16.8 MV slightly better as was the viewing comfort.  It was my first really good wide field eyepiece that performed well in f/5ish scopes.  I donated it to my astronomy club when I purchased a 13 Nagler T-6, which I sold to purchase a 13 Ethos.  Still, that 16.8 MV was a handy sized and sharp eyepiece.  Unfortunately, I think it's a little underappreciated at my club.

I regret parting with were a couple of Pentax XWs. I could not for the life of me get a comfortable viewing position with them. I found them very demanding of eye position and I always wound up pulling them after 5 minutes.A

Aah it's not just me then :D

I thought it was just my face that was awkward. I can never seem to get comfortable with them either and they continuously black out on me. This is annoying as the views are extremely good.

I've tried a few times to "get on" with them but simply can't. The only one I was able to get comfortable with was an observing buddies 30mm, and what a cracking eyepiece that is.

Strangely my face seems to favour Naglers, which most find to be the opposite of the pentax........funny old world :)

Archived