Narrowband

What is Your MONSTER EYEPIECE ???

If an eyepiece needs to be large to accomodate the glass elements and the light path through them then thats one thing but I wonder if some manufacturers have wacked a big body on them for marketing purposes :rolleyes2:

The Ethos 13mm and Explore Scientific 14mm are full of glass as these x-rays show:

post-118-0-33527600-1423846800_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I.m starting to suspect that people are buying eyepieces just to dwarf tins on beans. Well I'm just not going to get myself in a pickle trying to compete.

Russell

Might be cheaper to start buying smaller cans of beans (sorry Beanz.... The world has gone mad).

Paul

31mm T5 Nagler is my monster. Thinking of buying a SW Panaview 38mm for times when I have two scopes on the go to avoid continually swapping EPs.

But some of those Explore Scientific giants look very tempting :evil:

I've had and currently have a couple of big eyepieces.

Until recently the largest was the 34mm Meade SWA 5000, which I sold as the exit pupil was actually too large for my eyes in my scopes.

Then it was the 24mm Meade UWA 5000, with a close second for the Baader Hyperion Zoom mkII.

Then I went and got me the Celestron Luminos 31mm 82 degree - at 1.15kg it's a proper hefty lump of glass and shiny metal.

I've still to do a proper balancing job on my 12" Dob to account for the differences. Plus I've a 5mm Nagler T6 en route to round out the short end, but that's a featherweight!

My first "Monster " it´s a Hyperion

Here it´s my eyepiece collection. some of the original 0.965 eyepieces from the old 80 mm telescope, kellner 20 mm, ortoscopic 9 mm and 4 mm ,  and the new eyepieces for the Mak : plossl 32mm, 20 mm , 12,5mm and 10 mm,Finally the  8 mm Hyperion.

v3issh.jpg

Archived