Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

AlistairW

EqMod + Sync Scan + Stellarium + HEQ5

Hello,

I am sure this question must have been asked a thousand times, but I am a noob to this. I have used my Synscan on my HEQ5, but now want to try controlling from a Laptop. I have installed the Ascom Drivers, and EqMod and Stellarium. But I just want to be sure what I need to do get next. I also have a Synscan RS232 and a USB to Serial Converter cable, that I bought at the time I bought the mount. I am particularly not sure if I connect directly to the mount, or via the handset set to PC mode ? - any walkthroughs appreciated.

Thanks

Alistair

If you are using the SynScan Serial cable and a USB to serial adaptor then you connect the serial cable to the SynScan hand controller and select PC mode on the SynScan hand controller.

you need to plug in through the handset which does work but i believe is not what the eqmod project was designed for, better in my view and easier to use is to buy one of these,

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hitecastro/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

simply swap your handset for this device, no more putting details into the handset.

Alternatively I can see no reason why a standard PC cable won't work, at less than half the price

http://www.senetic.co.uk/product/CAB-CONSOLE-USB?gclid=CJ7vjdy6wcMCFfHKtAodL0EARg

Adding the word 'astronomy' to an item is seen as good reason to double the cost !!

it won't work because a USB data cable isn't used, it's a USB > RS232 serial convertor

The PC cable does work without issue. Using it with SGP to control my Vixen GP (synscan goto set+EQmod) fully automated!

The link you provided directs you to a USB A to USB mini B cable which is unsuitable for our purposes. 

Hello,

I am sure this question must have been asked a thousand times, but I am a noob to this. I have used my Synscan on my HEQ5, but now want to try controlling from a Laptop. I have installed the Ascom Drivers, and EqMod and Stellarium. But I just want to be sure what I need to do get next. I also have a Synscan RS232 and a USB to Serial Converter cable, that I bought at the time I bought the mount. I am particularly not sure if I connect directly to the mount, or via the handset set to PC mode ? - any walkthroughs appreciated.

Thanks

Alistair

If you want to drive to mount from a laptop you don't even require EQMOD or ascom. Stellarium has its own built in mount drivers so you can connect the mount to the laptop through the handset using the rs232 data cable. Cartes du Ceil can also control mounts, but for this you will need the ascom platform and the ascom Celestrom mount drivers.