SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do I need ?

You need a T-ring for the DSLR make e.e.g Canon, Nikon etc.

You will also need a remote timer to allow it to get long exposures and multiple long exposures, say 10 exposures of 60 seconds each exposure.

And likely the most relevant/important item being the DSLR instruction manual.

The DSLR has to be set to fully manual - you set and define everything.

Also read how the remote timer operates yopu really need to allow the DSLR chip to cool between exposures.

There is no eyepiece or camera lens.

The mount the refractor is on will have to be an Equitorial and it need to have dual motors and be accurately polar aligned.

The idea of attach DSLR to scope is not the start and finish of it all.

Planetary and lunar imaging is slightly different.

Using a DSLR for planets is not the best approach.

Holy moley !didnt think it was going to be that much of a palava [emoji2],I understand their will be no ep or lens involved and that the t-ring fits the camera but how does the camera fit to a small ep ? Thanks post-41509-142273726771_thumb.jpg held my iphone to ep on scope ,so I presumed it would be that simple with a dslr [emoji1]

No EP.

The scope puts the image direct on to the DSLR sensor.

To fit the T-ring the DSLR lens is removed, the T-ring attached to the camera and then the T-ring and DSLR are attached to the scope probably instead of the diagonal.

The scope takes the role of the normal camera lens.

Afraid imaging is not exactly easy and not inexpensive.

A "basic" setup of any quality is likely to start at £800-1000.

Next sort of step is around £4000.

£10,000 is easy to spend and quite a few AP rigs are in excess of £20,000.

I have one of each of these to fit my canon 1100d into any 1.25 eyepeice holder.

To go where the lens would go.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html

This to join to the T ring and then go in the focuser tube.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-125-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

Your telescope may well become very back heavy so balance might need looking at.

To image the Moon/Jupier though you can start with a webcam, this is suited to a none tracking mount as you create an image from the AVI you captured using free software. You will create a much bigger Moon image to using a webcam.

T mount camera adaptor is the link I was after ta, whilst I'm at it ! My understanding of ep's is that the higher the number the less magnification it has,is this correct ?,so looking at the moon with my highest ep 20mm plossil seems to fill the scopes lens, is their a wide angle ep that let's me see constillations ? I.e all of Orion and not just 2or 3 stars ?

The maximum field of view is limited by the fact you have a 1.25" focuser. That said, even in a short focal length scope with a 2" focuser, you would struggle to get most of Orion in - That's what binoculars are for!

Sticking with Plossls, because they are cheap, sharp and effective, this is the difference a 32mm would make over your 20mm on the Orion Nebula:

G0XPHb.png

I've had to assume equivalents to your scope, because that calcualor will only export an image with known scopes and EPs, but if you want to have a play yourself, you will find it here.

Russell

Archived