SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter on the 3oth January 2015

David Smith

Great views of Jupiter last night thanks mostly to some reasonable seeing which is rare at the moment. Even inspired me to draw what I saw which doesn't happen very often lately. Thought I would post the sketch here for you to have a good chuckle at :grin:

post-16479-0-81820200-1422735439_thumb.p

Seeing varied through out the 1 - 1.5 hours I was out but patience at the eyepiece paid off and I was rewarded with moments of good clarity where subtle features such as festoons in the equatorial zone became visible. Suffice to say the sketch doesn't really do it justice! The sketch was completed whilst viewing with the ES 82 degree 11 mm focal length eyepiece which gave me all four moons plus good levels of detail on the planet itself. I did try both the ES8.8 and 6.7 but neither gave as nice a view as the 11mm.

Hopefully this means that Jupiter is getting high enough, early enough for better views as my previous efforts this year and late last year have been plagued by poor seeing and mushy images.

Clear skies all

Archived